Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all been awhile since I’ve been on here, I’ve got caught up with life as I’m sure you guys know. I have a case 448 that makes a squealing noise when in high gear, it only does it when you move the tcv forward pretty quick. It also does it when I am plowing the garden in low gear and will not spin the tires. I hooked up a test gauge to the drain hole and tied her off to a tree to test the pressure at the relief valve, it relieves at or slightly above 2000psi in high gear. Could it be the tcv is out of adjustment? I’m lost at this point needing help.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,376 Posts
Hello all been awhile since I’ve been on here, I’ve got caught up with life as I’m sure you guys know. I have a case 448 that makes a squealing noise when in high gear, it only does it when you move the tcv forward pretty quick. It also does it when I am plowing the garden in low gear and will not spin the tires. I hooked up a test gauge to the drain hole and tied her off to a tree to test the pressure at the relief valve, it relieves at or slightly above 2000psi in high gear. Could it be the tcv is out of adjustment? I’m lost at this point needing help. View attachment 122818
Sounds to me like your tractor is operating as it should. You've correctly checked the main relief valve setting and it seems to be right where it should be. It's not uncommon for the system pressure to spike above 2000 psi when starting suddenly or changing direction in high range, the squealing is the relief valve opening to protect the system. The same occurs in low range if there is a high load and the tires cannot spin as you mention.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
You are close. In this link Gator said 2100 psi on the relief, and lists the manual he got that from.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds to me like your tractor is operating as it should. You've correctly checked the main relief valve setting and it seems to be right where it should be. It's not uncommon for the system pressure to spike above 2000 psi when starting suddenly or changing direction in high range, the squealing is the relief valve opening to protect the system. The same occurs in low range if there is a high load and the tires cannot spin as you mention.

Bob
Thanks bob but shouldn’t I have some type of slippage while plowing? It doesn’t even try to spin before the relief kicks in, I can barely plow with this tractor and I’ve seen plenty of guys plowing with these things like it’s nothing. I don’t have any wheel weights or loaded tires. Could it be that I have the tcv adjusted wrong to the point the valve isn’t opening fully? Or the possibility of a suction leak? this case system is all new to me as I am a cub cadet man at heart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are close. In this link Gator said 2100 psi on the relief, and lists the manual he got that from.

Cheers,
Gordy
Thank you for that link Gordy i will definitely be reading it. Do you by chance know where I can find a service manual for this tractor I’ve tried looking on here with no luck.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Thank you for that link Gordy i will definitely be reading it. Do you by chance know where I can find a service manual for this tractor I’ve tried looking on here with no luck.
See that stack of dots and lines in the upper right corner? Click on that and scroll down to the "Technical Library", you will find the manuals there. You will need the PIN (serial) # from your tractor to get the correct manuals. There are also manuals to specific items likes clutch's, hydraulics, ect....

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
816 Posts
You may need replace the spring and ball bearing in the end of the tcv where your pressure relief adjustment is. Possibly worn/ broken spring and also ball bearing not seating well in passage.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You may need replace the spring and ball bearing in the end of the tcv where your pressure relief adjustment is. Possibly worn/ broken spring and also ball bearing not seating well in passage.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
That leads in to the next problem I can’t get that screw to budge

1 - 8 of 8 Posts