Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a 1980 case 448 and it appears at one time someone broke and welded up the differential case. Looks like a good repair but it bothers me nonetheless. I found a 4020 rear differential and drive motor local to me. Would that work in my tractor?

·
Administrator
3,308 Posts
Hi nickv99,
Usually damage to a transaxle housing is caused by broken differential bolts having been caught under either the low range gear, high range gear or the the cluster gear. As the transaxle housing is made from cast steel, it can be welded but with some difficulty. The bottom of the housing is usually where it is broken thru. There also are situations where the tractor having been left outside uncovered and the housing has filled up with water, frozen and broken. The transaxle assembly from a 4020 that you mention will work on your 1980 448 if it is a complete assembly. If you choose to purchase the assembly from a 4020, I strongly recommend that you disassemble it prior to installing it on your 448 and replace the differential bolts. This is not as difficult as it sounds. As 4020 models had several different gear sets as models progressed, it would be a good thing to know what is in the 4020 transaxle assembly before you get into it. Post pics of the housing on your 448. :cool:

·
Registered
639 Posts
I agree with Bob.

One thing to watch for though ... if the 4020 donor is around a 2001 or newer model it will likely have the webbed / gusseted housing. I believe these were originally designed for the loader / backhoe models but Ingersoll started using them in all the garden tractors sometime around 2001 or so. These housings are not a direct fit to the earlier year garden tractor frames. Models that came with them from the factory had notches cut into the frame to clear the upper webs and extra plating welded in to reinforce the notched areas.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Yes, hopefully it isn't one of those late model tractors that's being parted out. But you never know ... in the past, I have seen listings for cars, pickup trucks, tractors, etc. being parted out that left me wondering why. They looked like they were in better shape than what I started with on some of my restoration projects.

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input so far it is much appreciated. I can snap a picture of the damage on mine it's underneath so safe assumption that it probably happened from backed out bolts inside. The transaxle I found is complete with motor but no idea what year tractor it came off of. Is there an easy way to tell like the webbing you mentioned perhaps? The one I found looks almost identical to what I have but wanted to make sure before spending the money.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,573 Posts
Thanks for the input so far it is much appreciated. I can snap a picture of the damage on mine it's underneath so safe assumption that it probably happened from backed out bolts inside. The transaxle I found is complete with motor but no idea what year tractor it came off of. Is there an easy way to tell like the webbing you mentioned perhaps? The one I found looks almost identical to what I have but wanted to make sure before spending the money.
A pic would be great Nick. I don't believe you would have any problems with the newer gusseted rear differential. My 644 lbh also has the gusseted differential. It would be a stronger unit, but I would still drain the oil, flush it and put a telescopic magnet in there to check for filings. Always better to be safe than sorry after it's installed and have a problem.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
639 Posts
The transaxle I found is complete with motor but no idea what year tractor it came off of. Is there an easy way to tell like the webbing you mentioned perhaps? The one I found looks almost identical to what I have but wanted to make sure before spending the money.
Nick, Here is a pic I took a while ago showing the tire clearance on my '01 4020ps ... previous owner put 245/75R16 light truck tires on it. Anyway, it also gives a pretty good view of the webbing on the axle:
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

And it also shows a bit of the notch & reinforcement plate that the factory added to the later model garden tractor frames to accommodate this style of axle housing.

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry for the late reply it's been a long day at the mill! Anyways here is a picture I took viewing from what I would call the passenger side in between the front and rear tire. I consider the passenger side the right side while sitting in the tractor. I think everyone does but hey you never know anymore. The weld follows the back wall of the case you can just barely see it. Sorry for how dirty it is this one is a working machine. The used transaxle and motor are definitely not webbed I just received more pictures of it. Looks like the motor nor the case leak at all and it hasn't been cleaned so I tend to somewhat believe it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will also add just after I bought the tractor a year ago I changed the oil in the transaxle it seemed clean and full so it doesn't seem to leak from the repair area at all.

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's a picture of the old girl. I plan on painting it after winter this year cab included. Man I love this old tractor for some reason. Apparently you all do too or we wouldn't be on here helping eachother out. God bless and have a good evening!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
See post 6 &7 on the following link concerning co buildup in the cab. Several members have had close calls.

Here's another.

My Simplicity almost got me,put a stack on it and good to go. Old picture the stack now has a proper mount on the frame and a proper rain cap.
Tire Car Snow Vehicle Wheel

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
707 Posts
I will also add just after I bought the tractor a year ago I changed the oil in the transaxle it seemed clean and full so it doesn't seem to leak from the repair area at all.y
I would leave that rear end in, it looks like a good nickel weld. And if it is not causing any trouble, should be good for long time. I had one like that, from freeze up, JB weld is still going strong……..Curt

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,573 Posts
Hey all,

I have a 1980 case 448 and it appears at one time someone broke and welded up the differential case. Looks like a good repair but it bothers me nonetheless. I found a 4020 rear differential and drive motor local to me. Would that work in my tractor?
After reading more posts here Nick, I agree with Curtis. The nickel weld repair looks good from what I can tell from the pic. If it isn't leaking any oil the weld repair should be good. I know you said you drained the oil after purchasing which is good. If you have any concern as far as the rear differential gears and bolts, open it up and take a peak to end any concerns.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
See post 6 &7 on the following link concerning co buildup in the cab. Several members have had close calls.

Here's another.

My Simplicity almost got me,put a stack on it and good to go. Old picture the stack now has a proper mount on the frame and a proper rain cap.
View attachment 124667

Cheers,
Gordy
I actually stumbled upon other posts regarding this issue and I totally agree. I built a slip on pipe for the exhaust for when the hood is closed that directs the exhaust up and away. I haven't done any testing but just being I don't smell like a running engine when I'm done I would say I made a huge improvement. Prior to that I would stink like burnt gas after being in it for awhile.

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After hearing everyones comments I am going to just leave the transaxle alone. The drive motor loses about a drop of oil every other day but that is maybe par for the course with these tractors to have a few minor leaks. it moves fine and has good hydraulic pressure so I will just leave it alone. The unit that is for sale is cheap enough that I might still buy it for a spare. Thanks for everyones help it has been much appreciated. We are slated to get up to 10 inches of snow today so I hope to get out there and play. I installed all new lighting on the front and back of the cab now too. Pictures of them are attached. I had to make a bracket to move the front light out away from the cab so I had enough room to adjust it. Didn't have any case power red so I painted it AC orange. I know what a sacrilege.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Well howdy neighbor 😁 I'm in Maple Lake. On the northern end of the coming snow, forecast for 1-4" of snow.

OH and I have liked AC orange since Dad bought a AC 919 back in 1981 ;) Still have it and a collection of Simplicities and AC's.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Premium Member
79 case 448
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well Gordy you were spot on my friend we got all of 18 inches and what a work out. Suddenly I was the savior of the neighborhood becuase there wasn't much that would stop my tractor. I did have some hiccups but nothing major. I burnt up a belt but it was pretty old. Then discovered my PTO clutch was out of adjustment, and last but not least the pulley kept throwing roll pins. Not breaking them but throwing them. I went and got longer ones and rolled the edges over so it would stay in. After all of that my goodness that tractor was an animal. I blew snow in my teeshirt it was so warm in the cab. Blew snow from Friday at 6PM and all day Saturday. City didn't plow any walking paths so I did some of that too so I had some where to walk my Beagle whom doesn't care for deep snow apparently. Any ways it was fun!

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Well Gordy you were spot on my friend we got all of 18 inches and what a work out. Suddenly I was the savior of the neighborhood becuase there wasn't much that would stop my tractor. I did have some hiccups but nothing major. I burnt up a belt but it was pretty old. Then discovered my PTO clutch was out of adjustment, and last but not least the pulley kept throwing roll pins. Not breaking them but throwing them. I went and got longer ones and rolled the edges over so it would stay in. After all of that my goodness that tractor was an animal. I blew snow in my teeshirt it was so warm in the cab. Blew snow from Friday at 6PM and all day Saturday. City didn't plow any walking paths so I did some of that too so I had some where to walk my Beagle whom doesn't care for deep snow apparently. Any ways it was fun!
I hear you on the hiccups ;) Old belt broke on me also, glad I keep a spare on hand. Got a couple hours in and shut down for fuel and check oil. Drove about 60 feet to the snow and blew about 6 feet and the tractor died. No luck on the attempted restart, so opened the hood to check the fuse and heard a strange gurgling sound. The bowl on the carb was wet with gas, tore the carb apart to find the brass float 1/2 full of gas. Camablised the carb from a DOA tractor and got back at it ;) Also found gas had gotten past the rings into the oil, about 3/8" up on the dipstick so did an oil change too. That Simplicity has a elevated gas tank and will gravity feed thru the fuel pump.

I hear you on the dog. We had a 1/2 pomeranian, 1/2 Schipperke with about 3.5" of ground clearance. I had to keep 1/2 of the yard /toilet blown for her or she'd go on the steps :oops:

Cheers
Gordy

1 - 20 of 22 Posts