Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, all i am looking for ag tires for my case 448. i need two rear ag tires that will fit on the stock rims that have the original tires on them now. and also the same thing for the front tires. if anybody has any good websites to use please comment and thank you!!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
farmerboy,
Welcome to the site.

Please take some time to fully explore this site to see everything we have to offer such as the Tractor FAQ section that deals with frequently asked questions such as this one. Check out the document "Where to buy STUFF" and you will find numerous URL's to tire suppliers.

Making use of our Tech Library will often save you a lot of time.

·
Site Founder
1,801 Posts
I too am looking for some ags for my 446. I plowed the neighbor's garden with turfs(no chains) and it worked fine, but the ags would lend some cool to it. Justin (unclecake) set me up with some rims, so I need to find the tires. I have looked at Miller Tire and can't decide. I certainly don't want 6PLY. The ags on most of my older tractors are 2PLY, and they have lasted for 40 years. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Finding 2 ply tires, Ag or otherwise, is not easy. Case, Deere, IH and other such companies were all giants in there day that produced a large number of products that needed tires. That fact put them in the driver's seat with Goodyear, Firestone and other tire manufacturers who were happy to make five thousand pair of 8:00 x 16 2 ply ag tires in a single order. However, when you look beyond the garden tractor industry, there were almost no other applications for a 2 ply Ag tire and that's the problem today. The demand for a 2 ply tire is nearly non-existent. No tire company is willing to do a large production run of 2 ply tires and then warehouse those tires for the next 5 to 10 years while they get sold off.

Demand for 4 ply and 6 ply 8:00 x 16's is much higher because these are OEM on the front axles of 4 wheel drive tractors and the greater number of plies are needed due to the weight the tire carcass is expected to support. For the purposes of restoration, the number of plies is of no real consequence unless you intend to parade the tractor on paved streets. Ride is the main issue but ag tires were meant for the fields not the roads. The document in the FAQ's provides a substantial number of URL's for people in the tire business. That's the best this site can do because tire inventory is something that changes day to day. You have to call these people directly and check to see if they have what you want in stock or if they can get it right now from their supplier.

Of course, you are free to ask about this issue on MTF, the Yahoo forum, GT Talk, Tractorbynet and other sites to see if someone there has a KNOWN source.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I got 6 ply R1's a few months ago for my 446, found them locally from small tire shop and paid $260 +tax for them (mounted). I'm totally happy with them, they are firm but running them at about 6 PSI they get great traction and the ride isn't too bad. I lucked out since the owner manager of the tire shop just happened to be into Case GT's too so he knew were to get them....

[img=center:h87wsrx3]http://www.casecoltingersoll.com/forum/gallery/image.php?mode=thumbnail&album_id=54&image_id=406[/img:h87wsrx3]

I have an extra pair of turf tires that I intended to put on after garden tilling and plowing was done for mowing but I haven't swapped them since the AG's are working just fine. My next goal is to get tri ribs for the front but that's more of a late fall/winter project.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.