Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody give me a run down on the differences between the various Case models produced in the 80's and 90's? I have just purchased a 1980 448 and would like to be able to relate what members are doing to their tractors to my model.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Case basically produced two models, the 400 series and 200 series, which are the same except for the amount of ground clearance. Within those two models they offered a choice of several engines ranging from 12 hp to 18 hp. Mechanically there is very little difference among any of them so most attachments will work on any model though there are a few exceptions.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Bart said:
Case basically produced two models, the 400 series and 200 series, which are the same except for the amount of ground clearance. Within those two models they offered a choice of several engines ranging from 12 hp to 18 hp. Mechanically there is very little difference among any of them so most attachments will work on any model though there are a few exceptions.
:goodpost: This!

You also have long and short wheelbase models. I don't recall the specifics, but my 71 444 is a short wheelbase, I suspect your 418 is new enough to be long. The difference is just two inches in the station I think.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Welcome to the site Cummins Canuck, we're glad you joined! :canada: :usa: :canada: :usa: You can also go into the Technical Library and look at the tractor manuals where you can see the differences in the various tractors. There are some attachment manuals in there which tell you what models they will be compatible with. Examples of variation in compatibility are sleeve hitches in Case 200 vs. 400s and snow caster rotation for Case 200/400 series vs. 3000/4000 series Ingersoll. Also check out the various posts including the classifieds where there is discussion of the various models. If you are considering purchasing an attachment, it's not a bad idea to do a post with the model number of the attachment and information on your tractor if you are uncertain whether an attachment will readily fit your tractor.
Would love to see some pictures of your tractor.
Look forward to talking on site! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information guys, and the welcome greetings.

I picked up this 448 last month locally, as my first tractor of any kind. I am looking forward to refurbishing it over the winter and fitting a front end loader as well. She came with the Snowcaster in the picture as well as 2 Mower Decks, Wheel Weights, Chains, Ballast Box, 3 Point Hitch and a Rotovator (not sure if that's the correct term or spelling). I don't think there is much more that I need!!
Hopefully this link will work, I haven't posted pictures before.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
cumminscanuck said:
Thanks for the information guys, and the welcome greetings.

Rotovator (not sure if that's the correct term or spelling).

I think you meant Rototiller. :wink:

Welcome to the site! I have a 1980 448 like yours also. The scoop is a cool touch that was added by CASE to aid cooling and is somewhat rare and desirable. :thumbup:

·
Registered
973 Posts
Welcome to the forum; I think it would be so cool for the Cannuck's to list there location [generaly] so that we might be able to help one another,example, you might have a part or if you were passing near a member's location you could possibly make a connection. Anyway, all that crap aside, have fun and ask question's and by all mean's LISTEN to HYDRIV. later oldfrank

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oldfrank said:
Welcome to the forum; I think it would be so cool for the Cannuck's to list there location [generaly] so that we might be able to help one another,example, you might have a part or if you were passing near a member's location you could possibly make a connection. Anyway, all that crap aside, have fun and ask question's and by all mean's LISTEN to HYDRIV. later oldfrank
Good idea "oldfrank", it's done. :thumbsup:

Maybe you can help with this question?

I have the chance to buy this unit with a view to transferring the loader to my 448 and then selling on the tractor. The only info. is that it's a Model 190 and has a Koehler engine.
Is it likely that the loader will fit my 448 with the Onan engine and does anyone have any info to share about the Model 190 including a possible value?

Ivan

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Welcome to the group.

I have never been a big fan of putting a loader on these tractors because they were never really designed to take one. However, if you purchase that 190, the loader will transfer over to your 448 but you will likely have to fabricate some mounts. We will also have to talk about "plumbing" that loader into your hydraulic system.

The value of the basic 190 is difficult to determine. Essentially, they are now a Collector Tractor. Condition is key and without photos, I can't see the condition. If the tractor is non-operative but is complete and in fair condition, it should be worth $200.00 at minimum. If it has a strong running, smoke-free engine.... is complete and in fair condition with a mowing deck, then it might bring $500.00 to someone who wants to cut grass with it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Hydriv, that's exactly the kind of answer I wanted. The seller is looking for $1500 which is, it seems, excessive. I can build a custom loader for around $1200 so this does not seem to be a good deal.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Once again, it is hard for me to comment because there are no photos available.

When the 190 was in production (1966), Case did sanction the Johnson WorkHorse 10 Front End Loader as a dealer-installed accessory. It wasn't very long before that idea was dropped. Another company that offered universal loaders with bracket kits to adapt it to many different brands and models was Kwik-Way...who are still in business today. There were a few other brands of FEL's but those two were the most common. The prices I quoted were based on your intention to sell the 190 AFTER you removed the FEL. Used loaders that are in good shape and were made by either of those companies will sometimes fetch up to a $1000.00 on a good day.

I agree that the Seller is a bit high in his asking price but he has to start somewhere and anything with a loader on it will often fetch good money in the right location. But a used loader is USED and if you have the fabrication skills along with the necessary tools, then constructing your own loader might be the way to go. Princess Auto can help you with the cylinders, hoses, fittings and the loader valve. I would suggest that you choose a joystick valve. It must be an "open center" style with two spools. One spool will need a "float" feature for the loader arms and it must have a built-in relief valve that is adjustable. That will allow you to set the relief at 1200 PSI which should be more than adequate to lift any weight that the tractor is capable of.

One of the major complaints is the lack of power steering when a FEL is added to a Case or Ingersoll GT. Yes it can be added but now you are jacking up the cost and the amount of work. In any event, you should consider modifying the front axle to get rid of the existing tires, rims, spindles, tie rod and drag link.

Loader plans are available from this guy. http://www.p.f.engineering.50megs.com/ and when you go to his site, look on the left side of the page for the index. Scroll down to "spindle upgrade" to see what he has done. Stick with 8" rims but go with the bolt-on rims that allow you to use trailer hubs with tapered roller bearings in them. I also suggest that you install tri-rib ag tires on the front and run them at around 16 LBS. Change all of the rod ends to Heim ends and use a larger diameter heavy wall tubing to make the new tie rod and drag link.

If I was doing this work, I would plumb the loader valve this way. Remove the steel line that is connected to the OUT port of the travel/lift valve and then run a 1/2" ID high pressure hose (3000 PSI) from there to the IN port on the loader valve. The OUT port on the loader valve would then feed into a hydraulic filter mounted on the loader frame in a spot that makes it easy to spin off the cartridge and replace it every 500 hours and then the OUT port from the filter would connect to the steel line that feeds the oil cooler. Of course, you would have to shorten that line to suit.

In the event that you proceed with this work, it would be of great interest to many of our members if you began your own BUILD THREAD in the WORKSHOP FORUM and included photos from start to finish. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
973 Posts
My opinion is, you can mount this loader on any 400 Case . It's only steel,cut it,weld it,shape it,anyway you want it. If you should aquire this unit, you might have a buyer for the 190 right here{oldfrank},I would suggest, take your time,check it out,I would only hope the 190 was'nt hurt by someone not knowing what they were doing. The front axel on the 100 series is much to light for any lifting/support duties. Later oldfrank .

·
Registered
973 Posts
oldfrank said:
My opinion is, you can mount this loader on any 400 Case . It's only steel,cut it,weld it,shape it,anyway you want it. If you should aquire this unit, you might have a buyer for the 190 right here{oldfrank},I would suggest, take your time,check it out,I would only hope the 190 was'nt hurt by someone not knowing what they were doing. The front axel on the 100 series is much to light for any lifting/support duties. Later oldfrank .
[you would have to mail it to me,a little piece at a time :lol: :smile: ]

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
:goodpost:

The pictures certainly help. This is NOT a 190 Case. The dealer is in error and you have to wonder why. Presumably, the metal ID tag is still on the dash column and it would have the serial and model numbers on it. The loader looks like an aftermarket model that was reasonably well-made for that era but it's nothing special. I would agree with Frank on the value once the loader has been removed. Normally, Case tractors bring a higher price in Western Canada then here in Ontario.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the input guys, it really helps me make a good decision.

I have ordered plans from PF Engineering and will embark on a loader build later this winter for the 448 as part of a major overhaul and refurb. I will try to post a regular update on progress with pictures. This will be a fun and interesting project. :winterrules:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.