Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question.

Will a Onan B48M engine be a suitable replacement in a 646 ?

I have a possible buyer of my engine but neither one of us knows the answer. He thinks the bad Onan he has is a CK CCK model ?? (I don't know Onan engines that well)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Danged if I know. My 646 has the CCKA. Sounds to me like you need to pick up an engineless loader. And if you don't then call me. :thumbsup:
About the fourth or fifth page of a parts manual shows the model and spec number of the stock engine.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
eBoyDog said:
Quick question.

Will a Onan B48M engine be a suitable replacement in a 646 ?
The engine should be a good replacement as it was used in the Ingersoll 6018 though I can't say whether it is a drop in replacement on a 646. The two issues that should be examined are the crank height if you intend to use the front PTO and the exhaust system. Most owners don't really care about the front PTO so that's not a big issue and a custom exhaust can be made if necessary.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input, the 646 buyer backed out, he thinks the motor mounts have different spacing which since he has CCK engine which with larger oil pan, that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Unlike the 200/400 models, the loaders have a lot more room under the hood so a variety of engines can be easily installed with minor modifications. The biggest issue is probably the exhaust system if you switch brands. Ingersoll used Kohlers (single and twin cylinders), Onans and Honda engines in those machines at one time or another. A Vanguard would be another alternative though I don't believe they were ever shipped from the factory that way.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Bart said:
Unlike the 200/400 models, the loaders have a lot more room under the hood so a variety of engines can be easily installed with minor modifications. The biggest issue is probably the exhaust system if you switch brands. Ingersoll used Kohlers (single and twin cylinders), Onans and Honda engines in those machines at one time or another. A Vanguard would be another alternative though I don't believe they were ever shipped from the factory that way.
A little known fact is that they also used Hatz diesels in them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.