Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the Case 646 Hydraulic cylinders. I bought the bucket and arms off of a 646 with the intension of putting them on my 446, after a little work. The problem is that there were no hydraulic cylinders included. Does anyone know the dia. and length of the trunnion (bucket) cylinder and the same with the lift cylinders or where to get them. Any kind of information would be appreciated. Thank You.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
On this site, we have a Technical Library that is divided into 4 sections. Parts Manuals, Service Manuals, Operator Manuals and FAQ's or frequently asked questions.

This is a place that you need to focus your time on.

Parts Manuals are available for the 600 Series tractors. The bucket cylinder is a different size than the two lift cylinders. You will also see that it is a trunnion style of cylinder that is anchored by pins welded in the middle of the barrel. You will likely have to have one of those custom made. The same holds true with the two lift cylinders. I don't know if you will find aftermarket cylinders that will be the correct length, diameter and end construction plus having the inlet blocks in the correct place. Case had these cylinders made to their specs.

I hate to burst your bubble but you are trying to put a loader with a 600 pound operating capacity onto a tractor that was never designed to have a loader. If it was so designed, then Case would have offered a loader as an attachment. Now...owners have put loaders on these tractor but 300 pounds is about the max capacity for lifting. The 600 Series was an integrated loader/tractor with tremendous strength built into the frame and front axle. There are only a handful of parts that interchange between a 400 and a 600 and none of them are significant. The operator's seat, the steering wheel and the headlamps all spring to mind along with control knobs and most of the trans-axle.

If you want a loader, then either spend the money to buy a 600 or purchase a set of engineered plans so you can build your own. You might be able to salvage the bucket but the loader arms are likely going to need serious modification to make them usable. Your biggest issue with those arms will be the center-mounted bucket cylinder. If you wish more information, then we have several members who own a 600 and they could give you cylinder dimensions.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
OK... give Joe Hemmi a try. Joe's Outdoor Power in Michigan is an easy Google.

We look forward to reading your progress reports on this project in the Workshop forum.

I wish you luck in your cylinder search. Not that many 600's get parted out and when they do, most Sellers are savvy enough to sell the complete loader unit. That means, bucket, arms, cylinders, hoses, lines and even the loader towers and they won't break it up. I don't recall ever seeing cylinders show up on e-Bay individually.

Perhaps one of the other members have a suggestion.

·
Registered
305 Posts
from my own longing for a loader, I've given the subject a lot of thought.

In my case I went so far as to draw out a loader design in a cad program. With that in mind, I can say that you can simply measure the length of what you'll need: retract the bucket, measure the distance between the pins. Dump it, and measure again: the difference is how long your cylinder needs to extend.

Same thing with the loader arms, though you'll have to guesstimate what point you'd call "full height".

Personally, I'd take that information and go buy cylinders from surpluscenter.com and retrofit my pins/bushing/cylinder mounts as required.

I can't possibly say diameter with any certainty, but 2" would be more than plenty, and 1.5" ought to be enough, again in my inexperienced opinion. After all, (pi*(1.5*1.5)*2000 psi)=14,137 lbs force from each 1.5" cylinder. You wouldn't get quite all of that, but you get the idea.

I hope it works out for you. I'm still considering trying to make a bucket out of a 55 gallon drum... (Big plans, tiny budget)

Bob

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Blazer said:
Hi. I'm new to the site and was wondering if anyone could give me some information on the Case 646 Hydraulic cylinders. I bought the bucket and arms off of a 646 with the intention of putting them on my 446, after a little work. The problem is that there were no hydraulic cylinders included. Does anyone know the dia. and length of the trunnion (bucket) cylinder and the same with the lift cylinders or where to get them. Any kind of information would be appreciated. Thank You.
Blazer:
I measure 17 1/2" long by 2 7/8" diameter for the center/bucket cylinder.
I measure 2 3/8" by 23 1/2" long for the lift cylinders. My tractor is a Case 1976 646 Loader 646-76 SN 9732149. Note the lift cylinders have a grease fitting where they pivot. If you want some pictures just let me know. I would try the dealers on site first: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=887 Surplus Supply seems to have a wide variety of hydraulic cylinders. I would get their hard copy catalog. You can keep searching E Bay too.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You very much for the measurements, they will help out greatly. Yes, if you have the time, pictures might help too. I've seen various pictures of the 646 but all were from a distance and could'nt get a good look at the cylinders.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Blazer said:
Thank You very much for the measurements, they will help out greatly. Yes, if you have the time, pictures might help too. I've seen various pictures of the 646 but all were from a distance and could'nt get a good look at the cylinders.
Blazer: Here are the pics:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Stewart said:
Richy Rich
Is that a Black Night 646 ? :headscratcher:
Did you special order the Light Package ? :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
Stewart: Definitely, if they made one. Gosh I don't know if they did? :headscratcher: :sidelaugh:
You noticed my dune buggy lights! Yes, they are annoying! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
But they do work. PO went to a lot of trouble to tear a lot of things out. :clap: :clap: :clap:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.