1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

First posted and not sure if posted in corect place

I have just purchased a Case 646 in need of lots of work
Curently starter away for overhaul and then can purhaps may start.
Dose anyone have a sorce for parts
Tractor came with parts catalog purchased in USA but no repair manual
It currently has lotts of play in steering
Also hydraulic pipes to loader very rusty
Any help with websites for parts would be a great help

Tony

Based in Surrey in England

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Tony, Welcome to the forum.

You are 100 percent correct. Your first post IS in the wrong section. We will move it to the Case, Colt, Ingersoll forum once you respond to this post.

Check out the Tech Library here for Operator, Parts and Service Manuals. At the top of each sub-forum is a STICKY that says READ ME FIRST. Those will tell you what the sub-forum is all about.

Rusty hydraulic lines can be cleaned up and painted. You can treat them with a rust converter prior to painting if you wish.

You should start by telling us the serial number of your tractor so that we are on the same page. Then, let's tackle this one issue at at time so we can properly advise you.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Tony welcome to the site, we're glad you joined! :usa: :usa: :usa: You are our second member from England I believe! :thumbsup: Please feel at home here, we have a great membership. You will find the help you need here for your 646. Look forward to talking on site! :thumbsup:
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
662 Posts
Welcome aboard!
There are a few places for play to creep in to the steering on the 646... Amongst them, the rod ends, and the steering gear are what mine suffered from. The rod ends are fairly easy to do. The steering gear on mine has the bore worn, and is no longer available. I've managed to shim it enough to make things better, but I'm going to have to make/have one made at some point. The fine folks at Eastman who now own/make Ingersolls were kind enough to fax me the original engineering drawing of the gear, so at least it may be possible...

The folks here are very knowledgeable (I do not include myself in that mix, I'm just a hack)... They seem to be able to talk people through just about any problem give a bit of time and patience... Good luck, the 646 is well worth the trouble of fixing it up.

-Tim

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
Tony, my 646-78 I purchased in February came with loose bolts in the bracket that the steering rack gear mounts to. They're 5/8 bolts. 3 of them are not too bad to get to but one is hard to get at to tighten with the rack gear on tractor.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for repling to my post will get serial no and post it
As I posted the track rod have play as dose the bush on steering quadrant
Starter turned very slowly and cables smoked so sent starter for overhaul
I cant do much now waiting for starter so can see if I can get engine started first
Thanks again

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi sorry for delay the case 646 which I have no are

model no 646-77
serial no 9744956

Have got starter back today from repair shop and fitted tonight still turns over quite slow and unsure turning corect direction

Can someone confirm when looking at front of engine ( onan ) is engine turn anticlockwise or clockwise.

Is there a PDF service manual available on site for 646 and onan ccka engine or any surgestions for best place to get one.

Regards Tony

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
Standing in front engine turn clockwise

In service manual section download manual A-51721 go to page 19 fig 12 read how adjust starter drive to flywheel ring this free up starter so turn .020 between teeth.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Service Manuals contain individual bulletins that cover specific parts of the tractors. We have most of those bulletins on this site in our Tech Library. All you have to do is go there and read.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.