Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
transaxle repair due to 4 bolts snapping on hi low gear. i have removed top cap and axles attempting to remove brake gear but cant figure out how . manual says use a drift pin and rap the inside of brake drum shaft not sure where that is ? am i correct in the hi low gears will not come out until the brake gear is removed ?

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
manual says use a drift pin. Yes big one and 4 lb. Hammer it take hard lick to move ring inside groove on shaft drum and go flying be safe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
still not sure where to hit it at inside the brake drum on the outside of axle ? that seems as though it would deform or snap drum. do i hit the large pin inside axle that the gear rides on ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the angle needed to hit end of shaft is so steep it seems as though hitting with any force would snap the top of case i must be missing something . im using a steel bar and a hammer to hit end of shaft when doing so the steel bar is hitting top of case and feels like every blow is going to crack the case at top

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
You got to get out with one blow then gear come off then key inside gear come out shaft then shaft go out as smooth shaft bushing and seal.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Yes Gator is correct.. do NOT be afraid smack the crap out of it, there is a divot in the center for a drift to ride in on some of the shafts.. if you hit the drum, it WILL snap off. The weld is not the greatest.

Dave

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
FYI,

If you pull the axles out, and wiggle the high/low gear around, it will come out without pulling the brake drum off. If you end up taking the brake drum off, you need to use, a brass drift and a 3 or 4 Ib hammer to get that drum shaft to snap out of it's retaining pin. But,, the big gears will come out without taking the drum brake off though,, I've done it this way 3/4 times now.

This size hammer, is about the right size,, slightly bigger is better. A regular hammer, I've never tried but I suspect you'd have to wail the neck out of it with a regular one,, the size in the picture,, 1 good smack in the center of the shaft,,(other end from pictured) and it'll pop out. They are just as much fun to put back in,,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the pic i was trying to use hammer from opposite side inside rear end . where is this retaining pin ? it does look like gears would come out if the 4 bolts were not bent over and stuck inside giving less clearance now . im thinkin about trying to cut with a reciprocating saw not sure how hard they are . a big thanks to all for all the help.

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
thanks for the pic i was trying to use hammer from opposite side inside rear end . where is this retaining pin ? it does look like gears would come out if the 4 bolts were not bent over and stuck inside giving less clearance now . im thinkin about trying to cut with a reciprocating saw not sure how hard they are . a big thanks to all for all the help.
Yes, to remove the brake shaft,, you have to push the shaft out by hitting it out. The one pictured,, is putting it back in. The retainer ring, you won't be able to see it because it's under the gear the shafts slides thru. (when you push it back, all the way in, it self locks itself back in,, because of that retainer ring.

Take a 12 " or so rod,, sharpen one end up so it fits inside that dimple in the shaft,, viewed inside/on end of brake shaft. One big strike, and it will pop out for you, but, a regular hammer, will just not do it!,, takes a bigger heavier hammer,,, (it'll just bounce off),, which is probably what you're encountering,,,

As well,

I've never tried this,, but have thought about it. (Sort of the same idea as pushing a car brake rotor off)

A long threaded bolt,, with a nut threaded all the way onto it,, a short piece of pipe, slightly bigger then the bolt. Stick a big washer against the outside of the nut, stick pipe onto the bolt,,, slip it in between the housing and the shaft,, and turn the nut off. It should undo itself,, and push the pipe/shaft off,, (that's the way lots of people take car rotors off, when doing brakes) beats wailing on it with a hammer,, if it works,,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
pulling out rear end gears

i have removed brake drum and gear . had to cut frame to give clearance for brake drum to slide out . the large gear in housing has separated from the smaller pinion gears. question on gear removal does the pinion need to be separated to remove ? there are still bolts preventing this. can the entire pinion and large gear be remove as one or separate ? i have tried as many ways as poss but these gears do not want to come out

Attachments

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
Hmm, I'm trying to figure out what you're up to?

To pull the top of the case, off, requires separation of the frame from the rear diff case. The only thing holding it onto the frame then is,, the 2 tubes from the motor that go to the TCV, and the brake lever arm. With that removed, you don't really need to cut your frame out, as the diff case is free from everything else.

Now, as far as getting the main gear set out,, with both axles pulled off,, the gear set is free and should be able to be lifted out,, but, in the picture you posted,, I think, I'm seeing what the problem is. Rather then guess,, can you post another picture,, but this time, stand back about 3 ft away from the diff case standing on the small gear side,(so giving us a bit of an angled view of the bigger gear). I think, the bigger gear is separated from the center hub, and if that's correct,, you may have some pinching on the outer ring of the diff case. (At least, that's what I think I'm seeing), but please do post some pictures before going further,

There are a lot of great folks on here that can help you out, so, please do post, prior to going further,,

Lionel

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
Dumb question,, are you able to roll the gear set around in there? Or are they too tight against the sides,, (which would be up against the spacer washers)

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
The one thing I don't remember is,, Is the frame opening smaller then the top of the case,, I had mine apart roughly 2 weeks ago,, and I didn't pay attention to that,, as well,

Make sure the other gear set, the ones that are moveable,, place then into neutral,, (centered in the case)

·
Administrator
6,182 Posts
So, if you can,, they should come out,, have you used a small pry bar? Not that you need it, but perhaps that'll work. With the axles out, the only thing holding it is slight pressure against the outside spacer washers,, and possible meshing with the shifter gear set (Moveable gears).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
needs another 3/16" clearance to come out

i have the big gear on the pinion all gears clear until half way up the part in the center that axle goes into is whats catching there is no more room as all the parts are as close together as possible. im starting to believe i may need to grind a long 1/16" off each side of the top opening.
has anyone here welded this part after installing new bolts ive seen it mentioned in other threads . if so does anyone have a pic ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts