Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 646 1975. I replaced oil pump about ten hours use ago. Got all my power back. I was pushing some brush and suddenly no power to move forward or backward. Loader goes up lethargically. This morning went out to see if it would move and it does very slowly almost to the point of not at all. I was sure it was the pump that went bad, so stupidly I replaced it and nothing different. I have searched a bunch of forums etc... but can not find any material that has helped. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. Is that number 32 on page 73 of the repair manual. Sorry for the ignorance but this is pretty new to me, although learning a lot quickly to keep this bugger running.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,224 Posts

·
Administrator
6,213 Posts
Do you have a pressure gauge that you could use to test your system hydraulics? It might save you a bunch of trial and error checks, If you don't have one, they aren't to expensive to make something up. It's mainly the gauge,, and fittings required so you can add the gauge in onto a circuit. My little setup gauge/fitting wise, cost me approx $50,, in Canadian $$ so I would imagine you could get something like that in the US for at least, 30% less,,

·
Administrator
6,213 Posts
Honestly,, since you've already looked at the lovejoy coupler, looks like you have a new pump, (not sure if you've just replaced again, based off your first post, but at any rate it would be only 10 hours old), from there, it goes to your valve setup, that has pressure reliefs in there, which you've looked at, I'd wait for your gauge.

Now, this just my sense of what I think, These tractors are getting fairly old, and the pressure reliefs do a lot of work. So, thinking about that, the thing that I think would get "weak" in that thinking process,, would be the pressure relief spring. It wouldn't get stronger, but with continued use,, I think it weakens,, which means your pressure relief will be towards the low end versus up to where it should be. So, I think, that in part is where you'll find your problem.
Now, since you've had them apart, how did you get it back to where it should be? By counting amount of turns out, so you went back in by the same amount of turns? Does your pump squeal at all,, say with loader down all the way, so that your bucket is trying to lift the front of the tractor off the ground? This is where I think a higher pressure,, or maybe in your case, lower pressure would display itself. Low pressure, and the thing wouldn't want to do anything, higher pressure, and things get snappier.

Is your oil nice and clear? No fillings?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
When you had the pump off to check the coupling: did you examine the coupling halves that are on the pump and engine? Set screws tight, key in place and not sheared?

I ask because you stated that the coupling was good but no details about the keys.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks so much for your help. Pump was functioning perfectly everything you mentioned was checked. It is brand new oil topped off. Keys not sheared either.

I have not determined the setting for the setting for the screws, however on the relief screws there is some kind of plastic at the point where the screws were originally put in. I tightened them to that point upon reinstall.

Right now the pump doesn't squeal as there is very little power. Before it stopped moving it would squeal a little when I would raise the tractor with the front loader.

I put the relief screw back in without the spring and started it to see what would happen. No lift at all or movement. Put spring back in and the loader would slowly lift again. Does that tell you anything. This is really frustrating.

·
Administrator
6,213 Posts
Ya, without spring in,, you'd have next to nothing for pressure. I really think you'll be happy you got that gauge coming in,,

Once you have it setup correctly,, I think you'll be fine.

Till that happens,, dumb question, but I'll ask. The first pump you replaced,, why was it replaced? At times,, I find getting to the route of the original problem,, is a really good way of starting to trouble shoot something,,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The first pump when warm the tractor would lose power. With the new pump it was like a brand new machine...for about ten hours, then I lost all power when I was pushing brush. The tractor just stopped, not the engine but the power to go forward or reverse and loader became lethargic at best.

Where should I hook the gauge up to?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.