Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purcahsed a case 646 with a newly rebuilt CCK.

I was using the tractor yesterday with no issues. Stopped it outside the garage for a few hours. When I went to start the tractor to put it to bed for the night, she would turn over EXTREMELY easy. It sounded like the starter was not touching the flywheel. Closer inspection showed that the flywheel was turning but the engine was not. Obviously a problem. Was not able to get it running, didn't try either

I haven't been able to take a look at it yet, but does anyone have an idea what it could be. I amagine it may just be a broken keystock, hopefully nothing more.

The flywheel is still attached and holding straight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonderful it was only a broken keystock. The "expert" that rebuilt the engine used a home made bolt to hold everything on. Luckily I had a order already in with Brian so I'll just have to add the proper bolt to the order.
I knew that there was an issue with the clutch that I was going to tackle later but look like I'll be doing that as well.
Thankfully I caught this early no real damage to the crank or flywheel, just a few scratches.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Clean the hole in the flywheel as well as the crank stub with alcohol or BrakeClean prior to re-assembly. This should be a bare metal to bare metal assembly that is properly torqued according to spec in the Onan Service Manual. Application of anything on those surfaces will pretty much guarantee a repeat performance of what you just experienced.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,514 Posts
as tom stated
CLEAN and dry when you reassemble.
i will add,apply some bluing ink ( big magic marker )
install the flywheel with NO key.
just use a plastic mallet.
then rotate the flywheel a little bit each way. ( with out turning the engine )
if, all is good MOST if not all the bluing will be gone.
good luck. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Instead of using the proper 7 1/4" bolt like he was supposed to he used a 6 inch bolt with a nut welded on the end, and then a 1 1/2 inch bolt with a homemade spacer to hold the fan in place.

Not to mention that he put the cluch together wrong.

new/proper parts on the way from Brian H.

picture in gallery

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.