Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Ok, another crazy/unconventional idea: Instead of welding it back together, maybe you have room to drill through the axle shaft in a couple places and drive in some roll pins. I'd guess 2 roll pins per axle end, about 3/16" diameter. 1/4" would be great, I don't know if you have room for that or not. The larger you can fit the better, and two rather than one because if you're operating the machine on the side of a hill there can be some meaningful force trying to pull the axle outward. Multiple pins will serve to spread the force around the perimeter of the bevel gear so you don't get a big single point load in any one spot.

Something like this:
Parallel Circle Font Symmetry Drawing

That way you get sufficient strength, sufficient maintainability, and cheap cost, since you can do it yourself.

In a perfect world, I'd get the weld ground out, and then immediately slide the axle back in place drill for the roll pins, so that you only have to clean metal shavings out the gearbox a single time.

Hope it helps.

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok, another crazy/unconventional idea: Instead of welding it back together, maybe you have room to drill through the axle shaft in a couple places and drive in some roll pins. I'd guess 2 roll pins per axle end, about 3/16" diameter. 1/4" would be great, I don't know if you have room for that or not. The larger you can fit the better, and two rather than one because if you're operating the machine on the side of a hill there can be some meaningful force trying to pull the axle outward. Multiple pins will serve to spread the force around the perimeter of the bevel gear so you don't get a big single point load in any one spot.

Something like this:
View attachment 126624

That way you get sufficient strength, sufficient maintainability, and cheap cost, since you can do it yourself.

In a perfect world, I'd get the weld ground out, and then immediately slide the axle back in place drill for the roll pins, so that you only have to clean metal shavings out the gearbox a single time.

Hope it helps.

Bob
Certainly something Im going to put on the board! Just trying to get the last axle out. Thanks!

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,040 Posts
21 - 24 of 24 Posts