Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Case 648 , update

4K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Tractorguy 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys , here is an update on my 648 rear end project, got everything out and it didn't look as bad as I thought it would. So now I'm waiting on parts and seals,
Here are some pics.
Wood Gas Automotive tire Machine Metal

Saw Bumper Motor vehicle Hood Wood

Road surface Wood Asphalt Font Concrete

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Wood Gas

Wood Water Font Gas Fixture

Wood Metalworking Gas Machine tool Engineering

Hi guys I have a question about my 648 tractor. About a month ago I was digging and removing dirt to remove a stone wall and driving to the end of my property and I the low gear would not engage anymore, no banging or grinding noises coming from it? So I finished the project in high gear with no problems. Do I need to replace the rear-end or is the differential able to be pulled out and replaced?
Sorry about the long story.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I would recommend not driving this under power another foot at this time.

Pull the axle cover off and see what has happened. If you are lucky, this is simply broken differential bolts that are then easily repaired. Left to their own devices, a broken diff bolt can do a lot of internal and case damage.

Pull that cover and let us know what you find.

Brian

#5 ·
Well ... new bolts and nuts (as applicable). Reference the parts manual with your serial number/PIN and select the correct bolts for your specific machine:

648 PARTS

The brake idler gear is no longer available new, so you'll need to hunt that down used (forum, eBay, Facebook, etc).

Consider new axle bearings and all seals/gaskets when putting it back together. Right time to get it all done.

Brian

#9 ·
Finding parts for the REAR ends is No Big Deal.. Essentially all of the tractors use the SAME rear end gears (there is a really new 'double bump' gear set that ingersoll used, but 95% are all the same like:

Zoom the pictures by double clicking on them and count the teeth on the gears to compare to yours.

Thanks I'll let you all know how it goes. First time messing with a differential! Plus trying to find parts, this will be interesting.
Thanks again

Ken

#7 ·
Be patient working in there... My first 646 came to me with the diff bolts broken. Figuring out just exactly how to snake all that out of the housing took some time, and a variety of interesting language. Then it popped out, and I don't have a clue what I did differently. Same headache going back in.

Good luck. It isn't a hard project, just messy, and a little frustrating...

#11 ·
Thanks Brian, I will do that now and let you know what I find .

Ken
Well ... new bolts and nuts (as applicable). Reference the parts manual with your serial number/PIN and select the correct bolts for your specific machine:

648 PARTS

The brake idler gear is no longer available new, so you'll need to hunt that down used (forum, eBay, Facebook, etc).

Consider new axle bearings and all seals/gaskets when putting it back together. Right time to get it all done.

Brian
Well I finally got it all pulled apart and not as much damage as expected 😅 so now I get to put it back together once I get all the parts and seals. Here are some pic's.
Wood Gas Automotive tire Machine Metal

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood

Wood Metalworking Gas Machine tool Engineering

Road surface Wood Asphalt Font Concrete

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Wood Gas

Wood Water Font Gas Fixture

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.