Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My Case 648bh-81 filter housing cover part no. c28754 has acrack. It is cast aluminum.
I cannot find a source for this part on the internet. Doessomeone have one I can buy?
Also is it possible and feasible to install a filter adaptorfrom a later 6018 part no. c33038 and use a filter c33039?
Or some other aftermarket solution.
I do understand I need a bypass either in the filter or thehousing.
Thanks

Mario V.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,173 Posts
Mario, yes you could certainly package in any more common cartridge filter in this application.

Look at the later production 6018 filter head for comparison ... the C33038. It's a bit pricey OEM Ingersoll and not really any different than a nice compact filter head available at any number of hydraulic retailers.

Just need to gather up the right fittings and fuss with fitting it up to the 648 chassis.

Brian

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Brian.
I still would like to a cover for my housing.
But, I m leaning toward a compact filter head like you mentioned.
Now to look up my return line flow rates and pressures and match something up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a couple more questions.
Does the stock oem hyd filter head for the later 6018 (c33038) have a bypass? If so I may go with one of those.
But if not, I am looking at Donaldson SP15/25 series. They have a 15 psi (p563288) and 25 psi (p561131) bypass head, which one would I use?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have ordered
One P561131 Donaldson Head Assy $32.84
One P565062 Donaldson Filter $17.40
One P563298 Donaldson Gauge $8.16
I'll give up dates as I go along
Mario V.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THE GOOD AND THE BAD

First of all if an admin would like to move this post to thehydraulic section I would not mind. I started out looking for a part or advicenow I am in deep.
So, I have installed the parts
The good, it fits, runs and no leaks,
The bad, pressure gauge pegged out past 100 psi. But this isa hydraulic setup and the max working pressure 150 psi and static burstpressure of 375 psi.
Case hydraulic specifications has the 648 at 9-1/2 gpm andthe Donaldson SP 15/25 max flow rate is 30 gpm. So I think I am good there.
The Donaldson system has a 25psi bypass and I am not surebut this should bypass up to 30 gpm
The filter is a 10 micron and maybe that is too restrictive.But again should bypass.
It is 38 degrees F. out and the tractor is outside and I amrunning 10W40. Maybe too heavy for this temperature.
I am going to try the 150 micron wire mesh. Should be muchless restrictive.
Any and all advice is welcome
Mario V.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have an idea. I will disconnect the output side of the filter head and plum it into a bucket and let her rip. That will let me know if the filter is restrictive or something after.
But that will not be today.
MarioV.

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
You got oil cooler plugged maybe not completely, but plugged. Easy way check bypass cooler, then gauge test without cooler. A hose going to be needed to bypass cooler, running in cold weather without cooler not going harm any part system until long operating in summer.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,342 Posts
First, I don't see where you mention the engine rpm at which you are seeing the pressure that you mention. That aside, I will offer a couple of opinions. First, the bypass that Donaldson refers to is a feature within the head that allows oil to bypass the filter if the filter is partially restricted so that oil flow can remain constant in the system. All the bypass does is allow unfiltered oil to continue past the head. The normal pressure in the 648 hydraulic system with everything in neutral at normal operating RPM will be well over 100 psi due to restrictions in the hydraulic circuit most notably the heat exchanger. The bypass is not the issue here, what you are seeing is likely the normal operating pressure at that point in the oil return circuit.

Bob

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
I have an idea. I will disconnect the output side of the filter head and plum it into a bucket and let her rip. That will let me know if the filter is restrictive or something after.
But that will not be today.
MarioV.
Tie bucket down good, oil more pushy than water.

·
Administrator
6,107 Posts
Hi Mariov,,
Firstly, I assume these are cell phone pictures? If so, I've learned with my IPhone to hold it always in a certainly way, (horizontal) when taking pictures, that way, they always end up in the correct orientation when I upload them. A few pictures taken, and uploaded will show you which way to take them, for proper orientation. (You could piddle around with another program to flip them around,, but for me, it's just easier to orient my camera in the same manner, to get proper orientation).

As far as your gauge and reading 100 PSI, on mine, I don't have a gauge, so really don't have any idea what it should read. A question though, I assume it read 100 when the oil was cold? What happened as you worked the tractor till the oil was warm?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did not operate the tractor until it got warm. I did not want to burst the filter. I ordered another gauge from 0 to 400 psi to see exactly where I’m at. I only had the engine at about half Idle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Start up pressure is 185 psi at 50 degrees F, after warmup at idle 50 psi. So I will never get below the bypass pressure of 25.

Studying the 6018 parts manual compared to my 648, the 6018 used the same strainer and then they switched to a spin on filter. The difference is the filter on the 6018 is located after the heat exchanger. And my 648 islocated before the heat exchanger. That explains I have high pressure at my filter, and also how they can use a spin on after the heat exchanger where the pressure should be near zero.
The question I have is why they did at first move the strainer to after the heat exchanger. Must be a better operational location.

So, I need to place my spin on set up after the heat exchanger, easier said than done.
But, for now,
Back to my opening question, Does anyone have a strainer housing cover or whole housing for sale or any leads on one?

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,342 Posts
Start up pressure is 185 psi at 50 degrees F, after warmup at idle 50 psi. So I will never get below the bypass pressure of 25.

Studying the 6018 parts manual compared to my 648, the 6018 used the same strainer and then they switched to a spin on filter. The difference is the filter on the 6018 is located after the heat exchanger. And my 648 islocated before the heat exchanger. That explains I have high pressure at my filter, and also how they can use a spin on after the heat exchanger where the pressure should be near zero.
The question I have is why they did at first move the strainer to after the heat exchanger. Must be a better operational location.

So, I need to place my spin on set up after the heat exchanger, easier said than done.
But, for now,
Back to my opening question, Does anyone have a strainer housing cover or whole housing for sale or any leads on one?
mariov,

I think you are not understanding the meaning of the filter bypass rating of your filter head. It has nothing to do with the pressure in the hydraulic system return line downstream of the filter. The bypass rating of the filter head is only referring to the pressure generated by the oil passing through your oil filter. If the filter is dirty and partially restricted to the point where the pressure exceeds 25 psi then the filter head allows the hydraulic oil to bypass the filter (unfiltered) in order to insure a continued supply of oil to operate the tractor without starving the pump. As I stated in a previous post, the pressure in your system even with everything in neutral will never be "0" psi due to restrictions in the return side of the circuit.

Bob

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Bob,
You lit a light bulb in my head.
The bypass is looking at the differential pressure. Wow! That is why the maximum operating pressure of the filter head is 150 psi and burst pressure is 375 psi. Wow. If that is the case then I did it. Wow! The only thing now is to position the spin on filter so the tire does not bump it. Wow! Great! Wow! Your a real genius like Doc in Back to the future!!! Now to get my tractor to time travel. Woo-ho!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts