Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
Hydriv said:
What have you guys been using to thin the paint?

And at what ratio?
Tom: I got all three items at Case International, this is what they told me they use.
Case Iron Guard Enamel
Iron Guard B17692 Thinner (contains mineral spirits, naphtha, xylene)
Hardener Valspar Renew REN3001
I mixed the Ironguard, paint thinner and hardener at 8:1:1 ratio. Slowly mixed in. I bought mixing cups at West Marine and did 8 oz:1oz:1oz. The eight/one/one oz is a pretty good amount of paint. You could probably go 4oz 1/2oz, 1/2oz. Hope this helps.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The replies are all appreciated. However, has anyone used a thinner OTHER than the one from Case? Any reason why I can't get by with just straight thinners?....... meaning Stoddard Solvent.

My son is gung-ho to repaint the wheels on our 1845 Case skid steer TONIGHT because he's got it up on blocks and the wind tomorrow is going to be 12 MPH. This is just a stop-gap measure to deal with rust before the tractor goes into winter service.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Tom, I used reducer and hardener from Napa and so far so good.I cant remember the part numbers of it and the cans are at work on the shelf. I may have mentioned the numbers in my resto thread but Im about to head out right now so I cant look through 10 pages for you. I did 4:1:1

Edit, It was Crossfire brand that I used.

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
Tom: Here is what it states on the safety label of the Case International thinner: Mineral Spirits 8052-41-3, Xylene 1330-20-7,Aromatic Naphtha light 64742-95-6, 1, 2, 4 Trimethylbenzene 95-63-6, Ethyl-benzene 100-41-4, 108-67-8 1,3, 5, Trimethylbenzene 108-67-8. Maybe you could see if you have a similar chemical composition on hand on your shelf.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rich,
That's a nice chemical cocktail you listed. The mineral spirits is something we do have. We did have Xylene on hand at one point but I'm all out. As for the other 4... I have no idea where those could be bought. Perhaps I can just substitute equal parts of Single Malt, Vodka, Rye and Gin. :sidelaugh:

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
Hydriv said:
Rich,
That's a nice chemical cocktail you listed. The mineral spirits is something we do have. We did have Xylene on hand at one point but I'm all out. As for the other 4... I have no idea where those could be bought. Perhaps I can just substitute equal parts of Single Malt, Vodka, Rye and Gin. :sidelaugh:
I think you'll need one bourbon, one scotch and one Budweiser Beer.......... :thumbsup: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Administrator
8,013 Posts
It is probably important to select a reducer that contains similar chemical components/properties to the paint being used. I went out to the garage to read the ingredients in the paint and sure enough the Case Enamel guard contained much of the same chemical cocktail as what I posted in the Case reducer. I'd be interested to hear from one of our body shop gurus on this issue...............(I am just about out of Case reducer) JMHO.

·
Registered
994 Posts
When I use the Iron Guard paint on my farm tractors I use the Valspar brand hardener as they make the paint anyways and I use straight naphtha to reduce it. Mix 8-1-1, let sit 15 minutes and shoot away. Seems pretty durable in farm service.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.