Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard some strange sounds from the engine last week when I turned it off several times, I know my hydraulic pump is going, so I figured that was it..

I messed with the points and the timing due starting issues, and last tuesday it was 10 Degrees here and I tried to start the tractor without plugging in the heater. The engine kicked back and after that, no crank.. Starter spins, but nothing..

I got into it and the ring gear is loose - off the flywheel:

Crankset Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire

you can see along the top edge of the photo where the ring gear is not seated on the flywheel. The PO had stripped the bolt holes, such that one side was tapped 3/8 and other had been 3/8 and was 100 % stripped, so i wound up tapping it for 7/16 just to get the flywheel off.

The ring gear does not appear to be cracked, but I am still cleaning things up. This is a tractor where the hydro pump was sucking air for years, that caused the oil to foam out of the tank and run down the front of the engine..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive design Differential

I have some massive clean-up to do.. This engine did not take oil, so that's not an engine oil leak, it has to be from the hydraulic reserve tank. The cooler, frame, etc were all coated like this as well.

So, ring gears, heat and reinstall right? Any options to do a belt and suspenders and cement the ring gear on? Or does anyone have a spare CCK flywheel for sale? I'm not finding anything on the internet for parts.

·
Administrator
2,895 Posts

·
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SLOWLY making progress. The holiday and cold weather did not help.

I am still cleaning grease and crap off the flywheel before I attempt to heat and re attach the ring gear.

What is a SAFE degreaser to use on the alternator coils?

The coil wires are the varnished copper wire type and I usually use 'Purple Power' degreaser, which is a acidic water based cleaner. I have used this on metal parts and it will take the paint off. Also the company FAQ says to not use on copper.. But. Suggestions?

Would hot soapy - Dawn dish soap and water be a good cleaner for those field coils?

P.s. this engine is such a mess, but its run for the past year pretty much this way, so score a point for Onans. But there is soo much gunk on this guy, I did not realize until I started scraping the crap off, that the lump to the lower left of the field coil is the voltage regulator.. There is sooo much grease on it, its non - descript..

·
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
FINALLY got the flywheel and ring gear cleaned up. I have not done so much degreasing and scrubbing ever.

With both cleaned up, I fired up the Bar-B-Que grill to heat up the ring gear, and not wanting some errand Pork Chop grease to foil my clean up job, I put aluminum foil on the grill under the ring gear to keep it clean.. 15 minutes later the grill is at 500 degrees, and I picked up the ring gear with two pairs of pliers and dropped it right onto the flywheel.. It seemed like there was a 1/16 of an inch space all around that thing.

Left it outside to cool down and once it did the gap is closed up and the ring gear is tight on the flywheel:
Automotive tire Gear Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

Because I had to assemble this 'hot', at least the ring gear was.. My 'belt and suspenders' approach was to apply 'wicking' or Penetrating type Loctite to the seam between the ring gear and flywheel after everything had cooled down.

Man is this stuff like water, its super thin, and it flowed into the joint all around the flywheel. This is supposed to be good for 2,000 -> 3500 PSI sheer strength, so we shall see.

So far spinning the engine without plugs is no problem, next I need to put the plugs in and then re-time the engine and test fire it a few times.

·
Administrator
4,397 Posts
I've used just rags, sometimes sprayed with brake cleaner to clean mag coils. But I learned early on NOT to get anal about cleaning a working coil. Wipe off the outside, but do not scrub the hell out of the windings. Does more harm than good. The oil is protection from moisture and oxygen.

·
Administrator
6,500 Posts
Hmm, the alternator coil is kind of dirty,,

I've used spray cans of carb cleaner, electrical cleaners, engine de-greasers all with great success.. A paint brush,, works good as well, with gentle scrubbing,, nothing abrasive though,,

I've used small pieces of emery cloth,, on where the bolts go through, where the alternator sits on the 3 tabs coming off the gear cover. I've cleaned that area nicely, thinking a good ground there is more then likely a good thing to have,,

·
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For the coil I wound up with CRC Lectra-Motive Electric Parts Cleaner Which removed 99% of the grunge. Of course the fun part is that that product is NOT ok for plastics, its fine for the Stator and the inside of the starter motor, but for the connectors and the voltage regulator, I used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, which IS safe for plastics..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.