Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My starter on my 1986 Case Ingersoll 446 has always made some funny noises. Just before I went away I heard a final clunk and then the engine wouldn't crank. This tractor was upgraded to an 18HP Linamar which=Onan P218 G. Linamar LX770110936H Serial Number I02X300106. I did the troubleshooting in the Ingersoll electrical manual. The solenoid switch clicks but when I crossed the terminal posts :shock: with a cable it won't crank. Engine turns freely. New battery with good charge. Peering at the gear drive it almost looks jammed and off kilter. I didn't find much on removing the starter in the service manual: http://www.manuals.casecoltingersoll.co ... marked.pdf so what I have done was disconnected the lead, took off some engine covers, took out the nuts on the blower housing, two bottom ones were a bitch. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: Now I pushed the housing a little forward for better acccess and I am trying to access a bolt or (is it two) that appears to be holding the starter on it on. No room in there and hard to see what I am doing. I may need a small breaker bar to get a socket on the nut in the small space. I want to get this starter out and get the part number.Here are some pics:

I am just about there but if anyone has some recommendations on this last step it would be appreciated.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Rich

Have I ever told you about the time I changed the starter on my 224-79 :thumbsup: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

Pay no attention to Chuck's Shortcuts. :headscratcher: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

Most onan starter changes come with promise of not wanting to do it again :thumbsup:

Good luck, hopefully one of the Onan Owners chime in with a good tip :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
3,309 Posts
Hi Rich,
A P218 with a spec # 10936 is a replacement engine for any 226, 446, 448 model tractor. What this means to you is that the starter is mounted similarly as on the B43 and B48 Onans but on the opposite side of the engine. Removing the starter is more easily done by removing the engine mounting bolts and raising up the engine or just removing the engine altogether.
Before I would condem the starter, I would jump it directly at the terminal after insuring that the ground circuit and connections were OK. There also could be corrosion where the starter mounts to the engine and also makes the ground connection.
Almost all other specs of P218s have a starter motor with a solenoid mounted on the starter.
Mad Mackie in Taxonnecticut

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
Stewart said:
Rich

Pay no attention to Chuck's Shortcuts. :headscratcher: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

Most onan starter changes come with promise of not wanting to do it again :thumbsup:

Good luck, hopefully one of the Onan Owners chime in with a good tip :thumbsup:
HEY I HAVE SOME TIPS!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness that one looks easier than on the B43. All of your engine tins which are really what stops you from getting a wrench in there are already off.

Invest in a set of these and they will make working in those tight spaces a lot easier.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the replies. :usa: :usa: :usa: I just had to go out and take a peek after work. I took off another shield and found the bolts I wanted to remove were actually on the opposite side next to the terminal. :think: :lol: So I think I will get it off this weekend.
Sir Stewart: Thank you for the support, you always put a positive twist :thumbup: on these dilemmas I find myself frequently in LOL! :thumbsup:
Bob: Once I get it off will clean up ground and then check cable and jump as recommended. Thank you. :thumbsup:
Boomer: Thank you will call this weekend. :thumbsup:
Chuck: Like a miser I still have my Lowes gift card from X-mas! I have been holding off for the ultimate tools. This could be them! Thank you :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Spoke with Boomer today and he provided some valuable recommendations as always. Much appreciated. The starter came out with two bolts at rear portion of starter. Was not easy. I pulled off a label: Johnson 191 1828, 03/27/02. The additional numbers I could not read very well because it was faded H1 C3RH or 1-1 1C1 RH. So it looks like this starter was either replaced or rebuilt in 2002. Started cleaning it up. I will bench test it first and then see if I can have it rebuilt locally if that's what it needs.

·
Administrator
3,309 Posts
Hi Rich,
191-1928 is the Onan part number.
I'm running my generator right now, no power for miles around, lots of trees down and on power lines. I will shut down the generator as soon as the refrigerator shuts off and go back to the dark!!!
Mad Mackie in CT with only generator power!!! :lolno:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bob MacGregor said:
Hi Rich,
191-1928 is the Onan part number.
I'm running my generator right now, no power for miles around, lots of trees down and on power lines. I will shut down the generator as soon as the refrigerator shuts off and go back to the dark!!!
Mad Mackie in CT with only generator power!!! :lolno:
Bob: Thank you, that helps out. I hope that you are chilling some adult beverages in the fridge! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Hey Rich

As a teenager I worked with an old car Mechanic. He made me wash everything before he would touch a thing. He would examine the car and then tell me what to wash.

Today It's not as easy for me to wash everything before I dismantle it, so I end up like you :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hope you can just cleaner up and reinstall. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My 321 starter needed replacement :facepalm:

Glad to see Irene took it easy on ya :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I bench tested it one more time. I then contacted my local small engine guru about who rebuilds starters locally. There was a place in the boondocks when I was a kid I used to go to with my dad. Sure enough this guy was still there. I dropped it off and when he got back to me he said these starters were really not worth rebuilding. He said the way they are built it doesn't pay to rebuild them. I got a new one from him for $120.00. He said they are made by "United". I am going to try to install the new one tomorrow. One thing he said, never bang these starters with a hammer.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I finally got back to installing the starter on the 446. On a rating of one to three devils, I give it a one :twisted: :sidelaugh: :thumbsup:
I cleaned up the cable ring with a wire brush and put a little dielectric grease on the terminal. I did not grease the starter gear.
Before I closed up the housing I gave it a quick crank and everything seemed in order. I then fired her up and she cranks strong, no issues. What a pleasure it was to get the 446 back in action mowing. :thumbup: The Linamar purrs like a kitten. Thanks all for the help group! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same engine and starter. My problem is the pinion gear is missing its teeth. I think it got out of alinement somehow. Is there anyway I can change the gear only, or do I have to replace the starter?

Thanks for any help.

Jon

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The gear is available as a separate part from the actual starter motor. Any local auto-electric rebuilder should be able to sell you what you need. Consult your Yellow Page directory.

However, you need to do a thorough examination of your ring gear to make sure it has all its teeth and that they are not damaged. If they are, then the new starter gear won't last long.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stewart said:
InTroubleAlltheTime said:
Here's a picture with the rubber boot off.
:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
Hey Rich Did you keep your worn out starter on a shelf ?
Stewart
Yup If I throw it out I will need a part from it some day. If I keep it and clutter up the garage I won't need any parts from it........ :trink: :crazy: :sidelaugh: :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.