Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4020 that is not charging. The past couple of years the idiot lite has stayed on but battery maintained a charge. Last summer battery would need to be charged every couple of hours when mowing. i currently have the engine out of the tractor to address a hydraulic leak. Any ideas or suggestions on where my electrical problem is would be greatly appreciated.

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts
Have you checked the rectifier? I'm unfamiliar with the 4020 but if you have a service plate on your dash tower by your feet it's probably in there.

You wouldn't happen to have any manuals with it would you?

·
Administrator
3,284 Posts
A 4020 Ingersoll has a P220 Onan engine. This engine has an engine mounted regulator/rectifier, it sits in a hole in the cooling baffle. The charging system consists of the stator with two wires which connect to the R/R from which a single red B+ wire connects to the electrical system. The key switch isolates the charging system from the tractor electrical system when in the off position.
The panel battery light is controlled by a voltage sensor.
There is an Onan P Series service manual here and possible a 3,000 and 4000 series Ingersoll tractor operators and or parts manual.
You need the PIN number of your tractor to find the correct operators/parts manuals. Both the operators and parts manuals have wiring diagrams.
Bob MacGregor in CT

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Brad,
When asking for help on any site, it is essential to properly identify your tractor by posting the serial (PIN) number. Quite often, there were several changes to how a certain model was built. I have seen some manuals that contain 4 different wiring diagrams for the same tractor model. We can help you resolve your problem but first of all, we need to know exactly what you own.

Find the ID plate on the left frame rail near where you sit on the tractor. Write down the correct PIN and post it here.

·
Registered
571 Posts
This sounds like the same problem I had. In the end, I found that both the rectifier and key switch had failed.

With the engine running at operating speed, check the DC voltage between ground and the center terminal of the rectifier. The rectifier is located on the top right side of the engine above the oil filter. It should be around 13.5 volts. You should also check the voltage off of the stator that feeds the rectifier. That should be around 35 volts AC, if memory serves.

You can remove the key swith and check the terminals for continuity with an ohm meter. The wiring diagram helps for this task.

Paul

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all for your responses. I will get the serial number off the tractor tomorrow or Saturaday and post it here. I do not have either the Oem parts or operating manual for the tractor but i do have a parts pdf that I downloaded from another online source. However, I am having difficulty locating a part number for the rubber bushings(motor mount bolts) which I will need to replace when I re-install the engine. Again, guys, thanks for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.