Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright- I just seen a real nifty Ingersol Chipper shreader listed on Craigslist. This just triggered a new project idea. Lastfall I bought a like new Troy built Super Tomahawk Chipper that someone had removed the 10 hp engine from. The price was dirt cheap, and being that I already owned a smaller model with a 6hp on it, I figured I would find a 10hp and upgrade to the largest model. Now that I have one of these great tractors with rear hyd pto- I would love to convert this chipper to run off from the tractor. I have had NO experience with hyd motor sizing. Does anyone have the knowledge to point me towards the size hyd motor I would need to use? I believe the standard size pulley on the original engine is 4" in diameter. I would think that finding an hyd motor to mate up into the original engines mounting position and use the pulley would be the easiest way to go.Although the neatest may be to eliminate the belt part of the equation and couple directly to the main input shaft on chipper. Having the belt doesn't bother me, and I am all for easy but if anyone has a suggestion please through it at me!

· Registered
574 Posts
I'm interested in the same sort of project. I got a Mackissic hammermill chipper from a guy just before he pulled into the local scrap yard. It's basically the same one that Ingersoll used as the basis for their model. Frankly, the easiest option for me would be to pick up a 10 hp or so engine and a clutch. But, my initial idea is try and use a hydraulic motor to drive it.

· Banned
12,618 Posts
You want to get rid of the belt if you can. Direct drive is the way to go. Motors that are capable of heavy side loading cost more money than motors that are direct coupled to the input shaft of the chipper.

The question is this. What diameter pulley was on the OEM engine? You need to know if the chipper's driven shaft was running at 3600 RPM or less. And if less, then how much less. That's needed in order to size the hydraulic motor. I'm sure that tracking down a parts manual on line shouldn't be too hard.

· Banned
12,618 Posts
OK. Let's go with that specified RPM.

Let's assume that the pump is in good shape and capable of putting out a solid 8 GPM at WOT.

That works out to 1848 cubic inches of fluid per minute and if we divide that by 2700 we come up with .68 cubic inch for the motor size.

Something like this should do the trick. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?i ... =hydraulic

It has a 9/16" output shaft, roller bearings supporting that shaft, will spin as high as 5000 RPM with no complaint, will handle up to 15 gpm and up to 2000 PSI intermittently and has number 10 ORB ports on the sides.

The same motor can be had with rear ports if you wish.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?i ... =hydraulic

If you want a 4 bolt mount instead of the AA 2 bolt, then this one has the same specs otherwise .

All of these are geroller (orbital) type motors. If you are serious about pursuing this, then I suggest that you speak directly with Surplus Center's hydraulic expert and see what s/he has to say.

· Registered
574 Posts
First, sorry for hijacking Whlpny's thread. I hope the information Hydriv posted is useful to you too.

Thanks. I'll be sure to save this information for later as this is one of those back burner projects.

Paul

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a problem Paul- what Tom posted gave me something to think on all day so that worked out great. I just looked at mine and its 1:1, 4 in pulleys top and bottom, the same on the 6hp as the larger model. So does the diameter come into play or do we just need to know that its 1:1 ? Sorry I haven't had a chance to search for rpm specs, but I do know that little 6hp is cranked right up and it is set at a predetermined speed.
Heck Tom at that price my reasoning is that it would be cheaper and more reliable than buying one of them China ebay motors to use on it. Plus being 3-pt mounted would make moving it a breeze!

· Banned
12,618 Posts
Bob,
Usually, the engines are governed to run at 3600 RPM at wide open throttle. It would be helpful if you could find out the specs on the OEM motor to verify the RPM.

They used 4 inch pulleys in order to gain real estate for the V-belt to prevent slipping under load. If you can get that info, then I can do the calculations and see what motor is available. Ironically, it will likely be smaller than the .70 cubic inch one. Most likely, around .55 cu inch.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm- I posted this yesterday and it didn't show up- strange. All I can find for specs are 6hp at 3600rpm. Nothing else saying the driven speed of the unit. I do know that mine is cranked right up there so I assume its probably turning the 3600rpm.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have been watching for a good deal on a used non-runner or a 3pt splitter. Either one should be an easy hook-up. I have an outdoor boiler and I usually don't split anything, but ocassionally I have to rip down some larger chunks that wont fit through the stove door, so I thought now since I have the hyds available I might as well take advantage of it and use a splitter for the big stuff.

· Registered
2,546 Posts
The splitter project is one where bigger is not really better. Many of the commercial splitters use 2 speed pumps to move oil at about 18 gpm until it develops pressure and the flow rate drops. The tractor pump is a constant flow of around 8 gpm so it will move the big cylinders a lot slower when retracting or moving without a load. For what you want to do I would look for a cylinder of about 2.5" diameter that is adequate for all but the toughest logs. If you use one of those 5" cylinders you go through a lot of beer while waiting for the cylinder to move.

· Registered
2,546 Posts
Hydriv said:
Bart said:
If you use one of those 5" cylinders you go through a lot of beer while waiting for the cylinder to move.
Please explain if that is suppose to be a downside.
If you drink cheap beer it's probably not a problem but guys like you who only drink the premium brands may find it cost prohibitive and would be better off just purchasing split wood. :sidelaugh:

· Registered
160 Posts
Hydriv said:
OK.... Assuming a solid 8 gallons per minute you have 1848 cubic inches of oil each minute to put through the chipper motor to make it spin at 3600 rpm. That calls for a .51 cubic inch orbital motor.

Check the specs on this one and then talk to their hydraulic Pro.
Did anyone go any further with this project. I have a Sears chipper/shedder w/5hp Briggs Engine and wold like to convert it to hydrualic power and modify it so it can be moved w/3pt. :headscratcher: :headscratcher:

Ted

· Registered
2,546 Posts
Ted Miller said:
Did anyone go any further with this project. I have a Sears chipper/shedder w/5hp Briggs Engine and wold like to convert it to hydrualic power and modify it so it can be moved w/3pt. :headscratcher: :headscratcher:

Ted
That should be a pretty simple project but I have to ask what the advantage might be? If the engine on the chipper is working then I'd just use it as it or convert to 3 pt then you have the option to use it as a stand alone unit. Also, it will cheaper to run the 5 hp engine than the one on your tractor. The limitations on those small chippers really doesn't have to do with the hp as much as the dimensions of what can be processed.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.