Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of rebuilding two Kohler PTO clutches and I noticed that neither of them have a Clevis on them for the PTO brake. Can someone shed some light on this? I have a total of 3 PTO clutch assemblies and not one of them has this part on it. Here is a link to the manual for my tractor. GO to page 19 and look at item number 22.

http://www.eastmanind.com/LinkClick.asp ... &tabid=196

Here is a picture of the clutch I have.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have also noticed that this part is NOT listed in the EZ adjust clutch manual. AM I missing something here or was there a change made at the factory around the time my tractor was built? 1986

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
There were many thousands of EZ Adjust clutches made prior to the safety police asking for a "blade brake" on tractors. Off hand, I don't even know the year that the brake was added to the clutch but it was during the final few years of production of the 3 digit models. Whether a used clutch has this brake or does not have it, is not something that I have noticed in past discussions on forums. I think that most owners are more concerned about buying a good, working clutch than they are about the brake unit being there.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok as long as it's not something that is needed for the clutch for work correctly. I have 3 clutches here that I trying to rebuild and I just happen to notice that part in the manual. Thanks for the info

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The PTO brake was something that was added on in an attempt to stop the blades of the mower deck rapidly. Whether it ever saved anyone from injury is questionable but it has nothing to do with how well the EZ Adjust functions as a clutch.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Does anyone happen to have any links saved to the thread a member posted on the other site that showed how he repaired a worn down clutch shaft by turning it down and installing a pipe over it. I have a clutch assembly here that has seen better days and I would like to repair it using this method if I cant find a replacement shaft assembly for cheap money.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
What "other" site?

There's no need to mince words or make people guess, Brad. Yahoo, MTF, GT Talk, TractorbyNet, Yesterday'sTractors etc all exist out there. No one should be afraid to mention their names on this site. We don't fear them nor do we try to pretend that we are the only Case forum in existence.

The first order of business is to locate suitable heavy wall steel tubing that is hard but can be machined.

You need a tubing that is slightly larger in OD than the ID of the bearings that slide on it.

Then you turn the OEM clutch shaft down to an OD that provides an interference fit with the ID of the selected tubing.

You can heat the tubing and freeze the clutch shaft before pressing the tubing onto the shaft.

At that point, you chuck the repaired clutch shaft back into the lathe and cut it to an OD that allows the bearing races to slide on it fairly easily.

If you don't have a good, untouched area on the clutch shaft of one of the clutches you have to take a measurement from then let me know. I have some new shafts that I can get a measurement from and give it to you at no cost. :lol:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used the term the other site because I didnt feel like spelling them all out. I know the process that I need to do in order to get what I need but I wanted to see if the person who did this already used a press fit method or if he secured the new material to the shaft with a set screw or roll pin after it was machined. I have 2 good shafts here to get my measurements off of but since its free and I like free stuff, I will cross reference my numbers to the numbers you are going to get me. :mrgreen:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.