Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather has finally improved sufficiently for me to attempt the clutch adjustment necessary to make my Snowcaster work correctly. (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3983).
I removed the hood and swung the oil cooler to one side as per the directions in the manual and this is what I found.

Obviously NOT correctly installed. I then disassembled the unit and laid out the components in the sequence that they came off (thanks for that tip Hydriv).

Not only incorrectly assembled but there seem to be several pieces missing :headscratcher: So, what do I do now? Can I get the replacement parts and from whom? Is it advisable/possible to change the bearings at this time; one of them is definitely "iffy"?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I can attest to Brian's product knowledge and efficient delivery as well. Now would be a good time to replace those 'iffy' bearings and tired spring washers. Just sayin'.
Good luck with the rebuild!
Troll

·
Registered
136 Posts
As mentioned previously, the spring washers and flat washers are not there....as well as the Large Outer Guide Nut (Item# C23627) "aka Big Nut" for adjustment.

I recently tried doing business with Bob at www.casegardentractorparts.com for the first time, and he has earned my business for future purchases... I ordered parts on Thursday night around 11pm, and received them Saturday morning around 9am through going with the "Speedy Delivery" option. We are fortunate to have a great group of dealers!

Since you will be ordering parts and want to do this right, may be wise to order 3 new bearings as well. In my opinion, I am very happy with the aftermarket clutch bearings (Item# MI150-960) I ordered for $5.99 each, instead of paying $20 for the OEMs... I'm sure my old bearings were original, and should have been replaced years ago.

I learned first hand that patience & persistance is key when adjusting PTO clutch...Good Luck!

Jason

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
cumminscanuck said:
So, what do I do now? Can I get the replacement parts and from whom? Is it advisable/possible to change the bearings at this time; one of them is definitely "iffy"?
What to do now is to pull out the parts manual and check off each part you have in hand then order the missing ones from one of our dealers. As others have suggested, this is the time to replace any questionable items because then you won't have to mess with it again for quite awhile. I would also check the friction disc while you are in there and replace it if it is less than 1/8" thick. You probably won't have more than $100 in parts when you're done and the clutch will be like new again--a lot cheaper than "fixing" an electric clutch.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bart said:
cumminscanuck said:
So, what do I do now? Can I get the replacement parts and from whom? Is it advisable/possible to change the bearings at this time; one of them is definitely "iffy"?
What to do now is to pull out the parts manual and check off each part you have in hand then order the missing ones from one of our dealers. As others have suggested, this is the time to replace any questionable items because then you won't have to mess with it again for quite awhile. I would also check the friction disc while you are in there and replace it if it is less than 1/8" thick. You probably won't have more than $100 in parts when you're done and the clutch will be like new again--a lot cheaper than "fixing" an electric clutch.
:goodpost:

Did just that and so did Brain Hildreth :thumbsup: . All the missing parts plus new bearings, friction disc and fan (the old one is pretty battered) are on the way for less than $150 including dog sled shipping to the frozen north :canada:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
cumminscanuck said:
All the missing parts plus new bearings, friction disc and fan (the old one is pretty battered) are on the way for less than $150 including dog sled shipping to the frozen north :canada:
I forgot how expensive the dog sled shipping is. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bart said:
cumminscanuck said:
All the missing parts plus new bearings, friction disc and fan (the old one is pretty battered) are on the way for less than $150 including dog sled shipping to the frozen north :canada:
I forgot how expensive the dog sled shipping is. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:
It's that darn carbon tax every time they breath out :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.