Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, rehabed the pto clutch on the 446. New friction plate, bearings, and springs. Everything looks good and it mowed fine, except, when I disengage the blades stop just fine but after a couple of seconds the vibration from the engine causes the friction plate to touch and the blades start rotating. Slow at first then faster.
Is this a linkage issue or should I add a spacer. Can't really see the control end of the linkage and don't want to take off the deck (yet) unless I have to.
Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
3,282 Posts
Always had to readjust my 448 shortly after maintenance and initial adjustment. I have an adjustable spanner that I use to lock the Onan engine from turning. I also adjust to where the friction disc doesn't drag and not to the .002"-.007" which takes two thickness gauges and three hands. I did need to replace the fork and the friction disc at about 1,800 hours. Sold the 448 last fall with 2,000 hours. I also replaced the wave washers and cupped washers every 400-500 hours. I periodically lubed the bearings by carefully removing one seal and lubed with a needle type grease gun adapter.
Current owner used a snow blower last winter (the biggie) and mower deck all this summer with no readjustment needed.
Mad Mackie in CT :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oops! Took it apart to adjust and noticed that :facepalm: I had the cams reversed. I figure that will have some effect. Changed it around and will try tomorrow if it stops raining.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.