Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Community Feedback: New Forum Software Is Live!

7K views 76 replies 23 participants last post by  vs-Admin 
#1 ·
We are excited to announce that we are live on our new forum platform!

It’s been a long time coming. Let’s face it. Sometimes older forum technology lags behind other parts of the internet. Although seeing the same format for a long time is comforting, the member experience shouldn’t include dealing with outdated, unsafe, slow software.

The transition to a new platform will never be 100% smooth but the days of dealing with out of date forum software are over. We have teams dedicated to building a world-class community for you. The development has been steady with regular software releases since May 2019. Asking members for feedback and coming up with ideas for improvement is what we want.

Speed and Reliability Are Key
No one should have to wait for information. This site has been built to be much faster and more reliable, period.

New Homepage Experience
Our algorithm will serve a personal customized feed based on your prior engagement with content on the site. If you’ve liked and or commented, or are following certain topics that are of interest to you, similar content will appear at the top of the homepage.

Search
We have introduced new search algorithms, powered by an industry-leading AI platform, to help you find information faster. We plan to roll out new features to continue improving search, and to power many additional areas of the forum.

Due to the volume of content, our search platform may take some time to complete indexing over the first few days after migrating. During this process, you may see a limited number of posts until indexing has been completed. We appreciate your patience.

Finding Your Way Around
We have made the design clean and simple to use. Near the upper right-hand corner of the community, you will see navigation icons.

The first icon is for what’s new on the site.

Clicking on it, by default, will take you to new unread posts. On that page, you can click on additional tabs as well, such as Popular, if you prefer to view active topics.

Clicking the list icon next to “NEW” will bring you to the full forum listing.

Clicking your avatar will give you a drop-down menu for all things related to your account.

You can also navigate more by clicking the 3 vertical dots.

Dark Mode
We have introduced Dark Mode. One of our favorite features allows you to access the site with a power-saving, and easier on the eyes dark mode. You can access it in the drop-down menu under the 3 vertical dots.

Save Bookmarks
Now you can save your favorite discussion threads and posts! Bookmarks are a handy way to remember and easily find great content or stuff you want to read later.

We also wanted to make it easier for new users to understand the lingo of forums. We have cleaned up various language to more commonly recognized phrases including:
  • Following - Thread subscriptions, and Watched are now known as Following
  • Conversations - Private Messages or PMs are now conversations and can be accessed from the user avatar drop-down in the main navigation
  • Showcase - Showcase is designed for users to "showcase" items/projects through the use of uploaded images, text descriptions and custom content categories. It’s a way to visually and textually provide detailed information on the content you wish to share. The showcase would be similar to a catalog, whereas the gallery would be like a photo album. It can be accessed from the drop-down menu with the 3 dots.
Take a tour and look around! Check out the Help section for some quick FAQs about the new platform.

Please keep all feedback, questions, concerns, requests for help, etc. regarding the new platform right here in this Feedback thread. This will help us make sure not to miss a request for help and also let us pass along your thoughts to our Product team. The Admins and I will be here to help along the way taking note of your comments.

- Community Support

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Not sure if it is universal but the website changed for me today.
So far ... It was a good excuse to see and update the "About you" section.
Disabled push.
I might choose dim but dark is too dark.
Where did history, what year etc. go?
EDIT,
I'm sure there will be a learning curve but not crazy about my avatar being resized.

#3 ·
I don't know what was so wrong with the old website but this SUCKS! It appears I can no longer just go on and instantly see all new posts since last night. Friggin bland too! Almost no Case Colt or Ingersoll color anywhere. One would think especially for first time viewers it would be an attraction. This is about as exciting as a a hospital webpage where you would go to get instructions for a prostate exam! But I guess like most everything else all good things come to an end.:cry:

#5 ·
There will no doubt be a learning curve. Whether it turns out to be a mostly good change, is yet to be determined. If History, What Year, etc. are gone, that will be a real loss. Haven't tried search yet. I never used the main one that took you to Google but used advanced and inside of the specific forums. If those are gone too, another big loss.

#4 ·
There is a tool button labeled NEW on the top bar / far right - which is exactly what you are looking for.

#6 ·
PARTICIPATED DISCUSSIONS
I forget the name of the button at the top left of the old site but it was the first place I'd go to.
Anyone looking for the same on this new site can go to ACCOUNT DETAILS (top RH corner of the site, 2nd button from the right)>FOLLOWING>PARTICIPATED DISCUSSIONS.
Not nearly as handy but you get there.

We've all seen these site "improvements" before. Hang in there while they consider and implement constructive criticism.
PS: +1000 on insufficient use of Power Red on this new site.

#7 ·
Long ago I developed the attitude "If it ain't broke don't fix it". There may have been a few things that needed fixing, but not a total rework !!! For example the old header was GREAT everything you needed was out in the open. What kind of IDIOT would think it is better to hide that behind behind some icons???

I suppose it is like politicians, some young upstart at a desk needed to do something to justify their pay check.

#12 ·
As a self proclaimed OCD introverted Engineer who dislikes change immensely (just ask the missus), I will say that I am impressed with the new site format.

Took me about three minutes to find my way around, but the new layout makes sense to find things easier.

The speed of uploading/changing pages is better.

"Key" buttons are all located in one area.

It looks like my personal photo gallery has disappeared again- happened with the last changeover too. Unless the galleries are being restored over time as part of the changeover, I'll go in a learn how to upload again. A quick review appears it may be even easier than it was before.

A big Thank You to our administrators for helping us through things the past few weeks.

With Respect, Willy

#13 ·
Unfortunately for everyone, forum software comes as a platform, and it may not be as customizable as you think. However, I too think the current software is a lot more opaque than the old one. The old one was easier to navigate, even for someone who was new to the site and some important info was there in plain site (like member location, now it's a flag, before it was an actual location).

The actual location is extremely useful in this forum, where people can help each other locally with advise or hands on help.

Not sure what can be done, they already said there was real motivation for moving to a modern forum platform.

Here's my feedback to the forum owners and developers. I know this from my day job: when people find something awkward to use, some stay, but some will disappear faster than a scared deer, if they have an alternative. If possible, I think you should consider another forum platform, one that has those features people liked over the years.

#17 ·
WHY,WHY,WHY
Just like every other site your company buy's, some times new more improved doesn't make the members happy
Some guys don't do good with change
YOUR WAY turns YOUR SITES INTO GHOST TOWN'S
I've been a long time members here at CCI.
It's not about the money for our members, so why you all give "the way to go people"
Remember the MOD TEAM we have been here for the long haul not you...

bigman

#21 · (Edited)
I just want to say I didn't have any problems with the old site. Yes a few things could have been changed to improve the site. Not a total replacement. This site isn't anything like it use to be. Seems like a downgrade to me. I'm not part of many forums but I can tell you this now feels very generic and blan. Why do I need to have the "recommended for you" posts on the home page. Seems like alot of hoops to get to where you need. People don't stay if things are too hard to navigate. Dosent look special anymore. Is this it? Are they going to bring back all the tabs that were below the header back? So now I also have to go into every single sub forum to see the latest post.. the old site would show the latest post in each forum tab without clicking on the forum to go into it. ugh. Now just 1 hour ago or 3 days ago is all you get.. p.s. the case colt ingersoll font looks like crap on their new generic header. Ugh

Evan

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

#24 ·
I suspect that is a bigger task than you think. The site and it's content, has changed hands at least twice, that I know of. I'm no copyright lawyer but replicating all of the manuals and old corporate info, without infringement, would be near impossible.

A lot of loss has already leaked to Facebook. I know nothing of that site and never will but I know for certain, that several have gone there and don't come here anymore, or hardly ever.

There was a very good subscription site once but I don't know if it still exists.

#23 ·
"So now I also have to go into every single sub forum to see the latest post.. the old site would show the latest post in each forum tab without clicking on the forum to go into it. ugh."

Other than when looking something up, I mostly used "today's posts" and "active posts" under the quick links tab.

Far as I can tell, you can basically get the same thing, by hitting "new" and then "popular". You don't have to go into each sub forum.

If this is "it", with no further tweaking, or fine tuning, it is a downgrade. The What Fits, What Yr. and History sections, were really important, especially for new members and should be brought back. There may be other parts too but those are top of my mind.

Since I've never developed, or maintained a website, I'm trying to be patient. There are things required that I don't know and having to work across so many platforms and operating systems, I'm sure has it's challenges. We know some mobile users, had very different experiences than PCs on the old site. Sometimes change is forced from the outside, so we know that stuff happens.

#26 · (Edited)
Some things I have figured out (with some cues from Eugene, Harry and/or Lionel I think).

There are 4 buttons in the upper right. "New", "Forums", "Profile" and "three dots".

NEW BUTTON
If you click "New", then "Filters" at the left side of the page, it opens up a box called "Show only". Unclick all of the options in the "Show Only" list, then click "Save as default" then "Filter". This sets up the "New" tab so it shows the threads in a format similar to what we are used to.

FORUMS BUTTON
Clicking this gives the list of the Forums liked we used to see. Towards the bottom of the list in the technical library are the manuals we all look for. At the very bottom seems to be the latest postings in the order we are used to seeing them.

Is my own information. Still trying to figure out what "My Showcase" is for.

THREE DOTS
Under here are the FAQ's which describe how to use the new site.

I took the time to write this (which takes a while for me as I am a two fingered typist) because I am hoping members will accept and use the new site. 🤞

I would not like to see us lose anyone over this change :(.

I too am bummed about some of the changes, (e. g. loss of tractor specific icons and my personal photo library), but am trying to make the best of them (some do seem to be improvements).

Most importantly, we need to support our moderators who have kept us all going these many years and are working hard behind the scenes to help us manage this upheaval to our site.

Just my 2cents.

Hoping we all hang in there,

Willy

#27 ·
Wait... I'm shocked... I bunch of people that love antique machinery don't like change?

I think we'll all get used to the functionality of the new software. It's still going to do all the same things, but where, and how is a bit different. No different than picking up an old JD GT and figuring out how their engineers decided to make the snowblower turn/raise... It still blows snow. (and I actually like the JD blower better, but I digress)

If we're missing content like manuals and such, that's a problem. I didn't pour through the tech section completely, but it looks like it's there.

The look is pretty darn generic at this point. I do hope there's a way to get the old smileys back in, but that might not work. Having the huge volume of the default, generic ones isn't any kind of real benefit in my mind. If I had to guess that's a function of the software having to play nice with phone/tablets.

If you're having issues with ads, just get an ad blocker. Yes, I know that removes a revenue stream for the owners of the site. Yes, that can have consequences as well. However, I find the web almost unusable at this point without an ad blocker. There's too much shit blinking, and scrolling, and jumping out from god knows where on all sites so they can make money.

Anyone leaving a forum for Facebook is making a mistake. The value is in the depth of the archive in forums. FB is fine for a little chat, or sharing a picture, but good luck trying to go back to anything more than a few weeks old.

Just hang in there gang, you'll settle in to the new digs, and it'll be fine. It might be bland, but it'll be ok...

#29 ·
Wait... I'm shocked... I bunch of people that love antique machinery don't like change?

If we're missing content like manuals and such, that's a problem. I didn't pour through the tech section completely, but it looks like it's there.
I know some people are like that but I'll jump on change, if I think it adds value, or has good reasons, or resist it, if I think it doesn't. On this, at the moment, I'm agnostic.

I haven't done a deep search but what manuals I checked were there. Missing History, What yr. etc. is IMO a mistake and should be corrected.

#30 ·
Several of the forums I am on have switched to this "template". Good, bad, or otherwise it is probably here to stay until another major change.

What I don't like is how I can't go the the "forums" listing first thing instead it is a "recommended for you" page and then you need to the "full forum listing". That first page is a waste of time as most of it is things I am not interested in. Then on a page I am looking at has "recommended reading" which brings up posts that many will not be related to what I am looking for.

As with most everything that changes it will take time to adapt. One thing I will not do is threaten to leave if they "don't change it back" as a member on another forum did. The mods said "okay, we're not going back to the old style so so bye-bye" and banned him. I sure there was more to the story than this just this one issue.

#31 ·
I'm not afraid to say when something is bad (and I'll never stop suggesting the What Fits, What yr. and History sections be restored) but gotta say when something is good too. I haven't loaded a pic yet but I was just on a thread that had several and I do like that new format. All the pics in the thread are handy in one spot. Might take some switching back and forth the first time through but if you're looking for something you know is there, its handy. Pretty sure we'll come to see that is an improvement.

#34 ·
As a creature of habit I really dislike change. I get comfortable with something and don't want to have to relearn how to do something that was almost automatic. But I also know that change in the electronic world is constant. Doesn't mean I have to like it, but I have to live with it. Some of my work related e-stuff seems like it changes every time I turn around.

I have only been here for a little over a year, much less time than many others. In this short time I have come to really enjoy being here. The regular's here are a great group, always ready to help out another in a kind, respectful way, no matter what.

I'm with Willy and hope we don't lose anyone over this. The drastic drop in who's signed in is concerning. Is there that many that upset or a glitch not letting them on, or??

It's the members here that make this THE place for CCI and our MOD's are the backbone that keep it together. I support and thank our Mods for all they do! I know the past few weeks haven't been fun.

I've been trying to give this new site a fair shake. I've been getting around ok, relearning where things are. Not all of the changes are bad. Though maybe not possible, I feel a tweek to the old site would have been better. I agree with others that it's plain and generic. The History, What fits, What year, are important and need to come back. I hope our concerns are addressed and some changes can be made.

The FAQ and tips earlier in this thread answer most questions. No different than a problem with your tractor, if you need help, ask, someone will have the answer.

My two cents, Tim

#35 ·
SO I am looking at the "What's New" page, below the newest post's is a line that reads "Threads below have not been updated since your last visit.". Question is, why is the newest post below that line 6 days old ? And no newer posts being added?

Gordy

#37 ·
This appears now to be the same host/format as a car forum I frequent.
It was pretty universally hated there too. Some left, not many.
I hated it at first, but the admins listened, there were many tweaks made where they could, and it's really not so bad.
It's just different.
Different from every forum I've ever used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.