Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to the Billy down under tomorree to pick up my newly aquired 448 and I would like to do a check on the compression before I drag it home.

I need to know a few things since I've never laid eyes on a 18hp Onan motor . I need to know do I have to take the engine covers off to do the comp test and besides the comp gauge what other tools do I need to take? I went to the parts manual & service manual section and the pages aren't fully loading including the ones I need.

What size plug wrench do I need to take and what do I need to take to remove the engine covers off if that needs to be done? Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gator_rider2 said:
13/16 spark plug socket and matching drive ratchet no shroud on Onan 18hp plug removal to remove plugs. I take 3/4 Deepwell socket just in case someone put wrong plugs in.
Thanks Gator I was just across the road changeing the oil in the van getting ready for the big trip tomorrow and I was looking at my nephews old Sears SS/16 that has an Onan motor and the ole plugs were sitting right on top of the heads so thats cool.

Mark

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I did a compression test on the B48M and got 110 on each cyl on a cold motor does this sound ok? This motor does have spark but it might be a little weak I don't know. I have to get a new battery for it this one's shot he had to keep the charger on it all the time.

Mark

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I was thinking Hydriv. I have alot of things to fix on this 448, fuel line all the hyd lines found out when I got it home and unloaded someone carped the brake linkage so I have to start looking for that.

Hey Hydriv this has Champion spark plugs RJ18YC those are the wrong plugs aren't they?

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.