Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have the test procedure for testing the voltage regulator on an Onan engine? I have had to put the battery booster box on my tractor for the last month of so and I have noticed that now the tractor will surge a little bit at idle and sometime just cut right out while operating it. I have to jump it again to get it going. This is a 1977 Case 446 Ser #9742021. The tractor has had a newer Onan engine installed by a previous owner and the install job was done VERY poorly. It now has a P16 in it. So many things are wrong with this engine install that I just want to remove it and start over again. This tractor has been a total nightmare ever since I bought it

Here is a pic of the reg. I have to spend some time on this tractor and dress up the wiring nightmare but in the meantime, I need to at least get it running again.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,509 Posts
case
the short wire from the coil + side,
with the blue end on it, what is it hooked to?
please tell me that it is not grounded to the reg mtg bolt.
thank you. boomer (the used onan engine parts guy)

·
1,509 Posts
case
the B + terminal wires should be ,
ign module (1)
run from ign switch (2)
and last the condenser. (3)
the manuals here should have the simple diagrams of the P series wiring.

good luck boomer

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
boomers_influence said:
case
the B + terminal wires should be ,
ign module (1)
run from ign switch (2)
and last the condenser. (3)
the manuals here should have the simple diagrams of the P series wiring.

good luck boomer
Thanks Boomer, I will be working on this issue this weekend if I get a chance. I need this thing to be ready for the winter.

·
1,509 Posts
case
the more that i think about this i would
remove the wire from the + side of the coil
that has the blue jacket on the connector.
your engine may have some kind of oil pressure switch on it.
boomer

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will give it a shot and see what happens but I am still rewiring this tractor and getting rid of the rats nest. Im sure you seem the pictures I posted in another thread. How Not To Wire A Tractor.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.