Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
AO,

In the interests of those reading this thread, it would be helpful if you explained what bracket you are referring to in your question. cp7 may know but the rest of us do not and this is, after all, a site that is focused on teaching.

Thanks for understanding. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am refering to the right and left bracket that mounts the sleeve hitch to the 444 series big wheel tractor. I am looking for the length of the bracket, the length of the right and left pin and the size of the nut that is welded onto the bracket. Hydrive. If you know the answers to these questions feel free to answer. I only directed my question to cp7 because he was giving me information in a prior post. Once I get the sleeve hitch I bought on ebay I will be able to figure out the pin length. I believe I will be using a bolt from my tractor to mount the hitch (or at least a longer bolt of simular size) so if someone could post a picture of the bolt in its location, I can pull and measure it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Tom he bought a sleeve hitch and didn't get the pivots for the trans.
Animal to answer your question they are 4" long and have 1/2"x13 nuts with 1/2" x 1 1/2" bolts,
the pin sticks out 1 1/2". Like Bart said get some 1.25" x 3/16" tube.
If it were me while I was making them I'd make a few sets.
Your not the only one that didn't get them or that they got them but they were bunged up.
If you can sell them they would probably pay for your hitch.
Take pictures and do a write up while your at it.
Before you ask those aren't extra one I have they're off my hitch. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much cp7. The tool shop where I work is going to build me a set and a plate. After that I was thinking of taking those to a local mfg and see what it would cost to make many sets. If the price is right I will sell them. If I do not think it will be worth my while I will not have any extras made. What do you think about having these case hardened when they are done?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Glad to help animal. I'm not sure that you'd sell a bunch of them but I've read about a few guys over the years that were in the same boat as you.
I've got no idea about hardening them but there will be allot of stress on them.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I doubt putting a case on them would be of much value (you definitely wouldnt want to capture the nuts in that case). I'd just go with as high an HSLA steel as I could get my hands and do same with the wire. If you are worried about strength you could also make them thicker while you were at it.

To be honest I dont think it would be worth while having the bracket made elsewhere as it is a pretty simple piece. I'd draw out the part in the flat and cut them out on a bandsaw or grinder (heat wont adversely affect HSLA's yield strength). Then drill the holes. Bending it would be the toughest part (especially if you use HSLA) but can be done. The choice of nuts would depend on what you're going for (replica's or just what would work).

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I am all for making a part better, stronger and longer lasting...................but only when there is absolute proof that a problem exists with the current part.

In all my time on the forums, I have never, ever read a post about someone breaking one of these brackets or wearing one out.

I spent six years on the Yahoo forum and read more than 60 THOUSAND posts on that site before I left last August for good. I was on MTF since 2005 and read all the posts in the Case forum until leaving last November.

The sleeve hitch is one of the most bulletproof attachments Case designed. It is arguably the very best sleeve hitch ever designed by any manufacturer to date. These brackets are not difficult to make from ordinary structural steel that is available at any place that sells steel. Everyone is free to do as they please but I truly fail to see any reason for case-hardening or selecting high-strength steels to make these simple items.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.