Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Troops,
Xetta on eBay has two of his custom front axle pins. This is a good product and an improvement to any 200, 400, 3000 and 4000 series tractors. Over the years both of my Ingersoll tractors have worn deep grooves in the stock pins, turned and sheared the retaining pins. A few years back I was plowing snow at 4 AM one morning and the pivot pin started to slide out. Xettas pin closes up the frame around the axle if it has spread. I have one on my 4018 and I'm pleased with it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I have been looking into this for my 4018 as it has the wobble in the axle. I have been wanting to do this to mine also. Lucky for me, I made good friends with the local machine shop in town and we end up bartering services. I think you gave me the kick to have one made for mine also. Thanks

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There will always be some side play in the front axle and this is normal. Some have tightened the frame in this are too tight and it is difficult to spread this area back out.
On my 4018 which is an early 4000 series machine, the original steering gear which is still on my tractor was manufactured in a different process than 200 and 400 series machines and wasn't as durable. I need to replace this part before it fails. The new replacement part is a more durable item and I need to do this soon as the tips of the teeth on the gear are thin and bent toward one direction. The gear on the steering shaft appears to still be serviceable. I'm hard on my machines, but I usually maintain them fairly well. I probably should replace the steering shaft bushings but removing the steering wheel on these tractors is usually difficult.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I finally broke down and ordered 2 sets of the pivot pins for my 3014s. I will try reversing the axle on the one that is bent back to see if it will be ok in doing that. The steering was all messed up when I got it a couple years ago, and I lined it up and got it working OK and forgot about it. Now it's time to get on it and fix it up. I'll probably pull the motor and have the valves ground at the same time. It runs OK, but it's not as strong as the other one. I had the heads off before and lapped the valves and that helped but didn't really take it to where it needs to be. Glad that one was free... I still use it, but I want to get it tuned up and running great again. I want to mow with one and use the tiller and snowcaster on the other.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Yes older thread, but still viable. I ordered from Xetta. He shipped promptly after getting back in town (which he noted in his ad). Nice piece and it did tighten up the front end. Be sure to grease it.

Total price from Xetta is $48 ($40+8) for hardened steel.

There is another option for $56 shipped for stainless steel.

I did not see the need for stainless. My original pin from 1989 was not rusted.

·
Administrator
8,253 Posts
Guys
I picked up one of these axle pin from Bill at barnville it was for a black frame 446 that the nuns at the convent used for years They needed a new or used stove the 446 came home with me for five bills
They must of had a small yard it looks like it was always turning Got to say the pin made it turn better then ever
I remember years ago one of our members started making, building these from the start, guy's bitched about rust taking to long to get to there houses, some of guys were never satisfied customers
It got so bad the member was band

bigman

·
Administrator
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I installed one of Xetta's pins that he had for 600 and 6000 series machines in my 6018, vast improvement. As this 6018L had little to no maintenance performed on it over the years, I had to replace all the rod ends, reposition the L/H steering arm on the spline and adjust the toe in on the tie rod.:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts