Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hired a guy to brush hog my back field. Long story short, he brush hogged my single bottom plow. After some cursing, I tore the thing apart and saw what I was left with. He turned the plow into a taco and broke the welds on the part that cuts into the ground. I took the arched part and bought a ripper shank from TSC and it fit perfectly. It swings in one direction do if I get anchored I back up and it breaks away. I haven't gotten it stuck once though, even in the hardest soil.

Here is the result.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I always thought of doing that. You could probably handle a 2 shank without to much problem.
Good job... very cool!
Sorry about what happened though. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
894 Posts
I was looking at making one also, then I purchased and old cultivator that I think will do the same thing and I will not be using it often. Anyways, when I was researching what others have done I came across one that was done that had 4 ripper shanks and was being towed behind a sears tractor. From teh photos it seemed like the sears was able to pull all four ripper shanks with no problem through moderately packed clay. If the sears could do it I am sure the case would be able to handle 4 ripper shanks.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The ability for any tractor to handle a ripper bar depends on several factors.

- the weight of the tractor

- the amount of traction afforded by the tread design

- the width of the ripper shanks

- the depth of penetration

- the type of soil being ripped

- the moisture content of that soil

- the condition of the ripper teeth (sharpness)

Most ripper shanks are curved and that design tends to pull them deeper into the ground unless the ripper bar is fitted with ski's to control the maximum depth. Most often, ripper bars are fitted to tracked machines, however.... they were an option on skid steer loaders.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
II put mine down about 8 to 10 inches into the ground. In 4Lo I have buried it into the ground anchoring me in place. The nice thing is I can back up and the shank pivots releasing me from the ground. I bought the shank at TSC. Its not very sharp, so it doesn't really cut so much as tear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.