Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone has retrofitted a non case tiller to work with their machine? Reason is, my dad has an old 3 point 48" tiller that he would just give to me. I also know where I can get a wheel horse tiller. Coupling a hydraulic motor to either doesn't seem like it would be that hard. How big of a tiller do you think a 444 could run?

I do worry about the size/weight being a little much, but the tiller itself looks like it could be narrowed without a whole lot of effort. Just curious. Here in the west it seems case attachments are a little rare and definitely will cost more to ship here.

thanks, Ben

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I think that you would have a difficult time converting it. Here's why.

The diameter of the tine set up will likely be much larger than the Case tiller. That means higher HP is needed to drive it. The max amount of HP available from the Hy driv system is somewhere between 12 and 14 but your tiller likely needs close to 20 HP to get the job done. You also have the losses created by the right-angle gear reduction drive on the tiller that changes the 540 RPM to about 150 to 200 RPM. The Case tiller uses a simple sprocket and chain reduction. The Case tiller is only 41" wide and your unit is 7" wider. Most likely, your tines are also larger in blade width than the Case tines and that too, calls for more HP to get the tines to penetrate the soil.

In my opinion, the Case tiller is about the maximum amount of tiller that the Hy driv system can handle. Keep in mind that the engineers put provisions into that design to match it to tougher conditions. Part of the tine shaft can be removed and there was an optional lower tooth sprocket available as well.

The Horse tiller would be a better choice. The size of the tines, the width of it, the diameter of the outside of the tine circle and the HP requirements will be more in line with the OEM Case unit.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks a lot for your feedback. I greatly value your detailed and informative posts. I didn't consider the gear reduction issue. I suppose with enough time and $$ anything is possible. And the price to actually find the OEM part is then completely reasonable. Do you happen to know what the tine diameter is on a case tiller?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Regardless of the time and money, I don't believe you could successfully power that three point tiller with the Hy driv system. Simply put.....it's too oversize.

I'm sure that someone here will be kind enough to measure the distance from the UNDERSIDE of the tine shield to the outer edge of a tine that is in the 6 o'clock position and then subtract the distance between the underside of the tine shield and the outer edge of a tine in the 12 o'clock position.

Try to get some info on the Horse tiller. Perhaps that could be made to work, either hydraulically or by adding a 12 to 14 HP gas engine to it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Ben,

As a "neighbor" of yours, I would suggest keeping an eye out for the right tiller on craigslist and in local lawn and garden scrapyards. There are folks who collect Case and other small GT size machines and impliments, you'll find what you need. Case GT stuff is rare here, but if you watch for them they occasionally show up.

If you do decide to convert something, there are two options I know of that would be "decent" to start with.

Option one

I have seen some John Deere :shhh: GT's with tillers, and at least one model I saw was a hydraulic driven model, but had it's own pump mounted to the back of the tractor. In other words, belt driven pump, transfers power through hoses to the drive motor on the tiller, turning the tines. Eliminate the pump and just hook up the hoses to your PTO, should work out fine.

Option two

Get a small, light duty GT tiller that was direct shaft drive, ( most of the older 16hp and less GT's with rear shaft drive ran direct drive PTO's at full or just under engine speed) and adapt the tiller to your machine. Then you have the choice of finding either a high speed drive motor or running an under-frame driveshaft to power the thing off your engine's belt drive.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Rob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.