Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I am in the process of tearing down the D100 backhoe on a 1975 646LBH. The swing cylinder rack guide has broken and needs to be replaced.

Currently, the swing cylinder is disconnected/unbolted, the swing gear cover is off, and I am trying to remove the swing gear itself.

I removed the set screw on the gear and it will slide up and down freely about 1/4" but will not come off. I don't want to force it off and break anything, so I have come here for removal tips. I don't see anything in the parts manual that could be holding the gear on, but I have never worked on one of these before.

Any info is appreciated.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The photo indicates that the set screw is still in the hole. You must remove it completely. Then....you might want to see if there is a 2nd set screw below the one you just took out. Stranger things have happened.

If you are positive that the hole is clean of any set screws, then it could be just a burr that is preventing the gear from sliding off. The obvious choice would be a gear puller, IF...you can get one into position.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hydriv said:
The photo indicates that the set screw is still in the hole. You must remove it completely. Then....you might want to see if there is a 2nd set screw below the one you just took out. Stranger things have happened.
The man knows his stuff. There are two set screw locations. The one shown in the picture and another one just below it on the bottom of the gear. BOTH set screw locations had TWO set screws, one on top of the other....

My D100 parts manual does not show the set screw in the illustration, but it does give the part number for it and a required quantity of 4... :oops:

It is amazing how easy the job can be if you start out right.

Thanks for the help Hilda.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.