Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be over the top, but I wanted a pressure gauge installed and mounted so that I can monitor what the hydraulic pressure is all of the time.

So, since I had the engine out to swap in a short block and other things, I added a pressure gauge. My 646 has already been customized with power steering so the Hydraulic hose routing is modified. The main thing is that my pump's output goes to a Priority divider valve mounted below and behind the engine..

Tapping into the system at that point would give me the most accurate read on what the pump was doing.. But that's also the point in the system for maximum pressure.. So no 'home made' stuff here. I figured out I could put a JIC - 10 tee and then a JIC 10 to JIC 6 reducer in the line to supply the pressure gauge:

Then the JIC 6 hose routes to the pressure gauge, up behind the dash to the one side of the battery tray (which is removed in this picture)

The fun part of that is to make sure you put the hole where you miss the loader pivot rod (and the pipe mine runs inside of)
The gauge I got from Surplus Center has kind of a square shoulder on the back, so the hole in the dash had to be square:

To hold the gauge in place I made a flat iron with a slot that fits the groove in the neck of the gauge and then a bolt to pull the gauge back tight..

Works really well, its fun to watch how the pressure builds to get the tractor started moving and then tapers off as its moving and will climb again as it goes up hills, etc. I think this way I can monitor what the reliefs are set at and just generally monitor the tractor much better.

my $.02 your mileage may vary.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,136 Posts
My 644 with the Kohler 321 had a hydraulic oil pressure gauge mounted in the dash. I didn't care for the PO installation but that's water under the bridge. I see the fluctuation in the gauge needle when using hydraulic applications like driving and loader lifting, but don't really pay to much attention to it.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thank you for sharing. I like the idea of knowing what the pressure is. Helps to see if something is “off”.
I see you plumbed in-line, but does the loader controls also have its own test port? Or do you test all from the tcv port? (That would be the easiest spot for me)

·
Administrator
5,992 Posts
Harry,
With your pressure gauge,
What pressure do you see when travelling, as well as, what pressure when you use the lift mechanism?

Scott,
I assume yours isn't up and running yet? If it is, could you post your pressures as well?

·
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some pictures of the gauge mounted. This is a glycerin filled gauge so that needle does not shake all of the time while its running. As for pressures, I am just getting back to using the tractor. The pressures when you drive the tractor are interesting.. It can spike up to close to 2000 psi to get the tractor started rolling, then on a flat area the pressure could drop below 500 psi and stay there as the tractor just rolls along.. I do want to get back and do more pressure - relief measurements and testing.. I don't think my pressure reliefs are near where they should be. (The black gauge is a $10 Temperature gauge that I want to attach the tank or somewhere to monitor the Hydraulic oil temps, but I have not gotten it hooked up yet)

re:
Thank you for sharing. I like the idea of knowing what the pressure is. Helps to see if something is “off”.
I see you plumbed in-line, but does the loader controls also have its own test port? Or do you test all from the tcv port? (That would be the easiest spot for me)
Since I am monitoring at the pump, I should be monitoring the WHOLE system. As long as I operate each valve individually when I am checking pressures, I should be seeing the true pressure via this gauge. The idea of a pressure relief is what pressure does the PUMP need to build in the system before the relief pops and since I am monitoring at the pump that should be accurate.

In a tractor with out a PTO valve, the pressure test - drain port on the TCV is immediately after the pump, so again I am connected into the system (in THIS tractor) immediately after the pump.. Again I have a priority divider valve in the system before the PTO and TCV to power the P/S/. Power Steering Added to 646a

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sometimes adding a gauge has unexpected results. In the 1970's I drove a Pontiac Firebird, and for a while, the speed gauge aka speedometer, was broken. I used to visit friends on weekends at the State University, which was generally accepted to be 1 hour away. It never took me an hour to get there, and coming home late at night, it once only took 20 minutes. I eventually got the speed gauge repaired, and that car was never as fast as it once was. It had to be the gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts