Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
While I'm waiting for some parts, saw a vid of a guy using this to help decarb, thought I'd give it a try.

Linamar LX790

The dreaded oil filter side. Pretty ugly, heavy deposits on the exhaust valve.

The head isn't any better. Pretty crusty. Chunks, even. With a little over 600 on the hr. meter. Got a feelin, the PO never did a decarb.

Here is the juice.

Sprayed em down good, laid a paper towel over them to try to hold the solution in contact.

Same for the engine,

15 min. later, wiped with a paper towel. Definitely softened it. Even removed some. The block took another dose and more elbow grease.

Kinda tough to get down into that spark plug area but other wise, pretty decent.

I might work on those valves some more.

So, did the product work? You bet. There was some thick buildup on that. I think it worked well.

It wasn't as cheap as Jim's Oil Eater but I don't have a Tractor Supply handy.

After seeing the inside of this up close, I see what Jim and Bob and perhaps others, mean when they talk about the risk of the piston, hitting the head. With carbon build up on both surfaces, there just isn't a lot of extra room.

I'm very glad I did this now.

Thanks guys!

·
1,275 Posts
Wow. Thanks! I'm doing mine now and may pick some up to try as I have a bit left I'm having a hard time removing. Though mine didn't look as bad as yours to start. Light Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Audio equipment

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dave

Yours looked clean compared to some I have encountered.
That said it did a good job!

Thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No Sir. Thank You.

And if I run across it, I'll try some Oil Eater.

By the way, there was still plenty of scrubbing happening (brass brush) and dare I say, even some meticulously careful scraping with a good screw driver and a modified putty knife, followed by two grades of 3M pads. I looked for some brass, rotary brushes, while I was out today but couldn't find any.

But these two, really are spray, wait and wipe.

Before,

After,

It softened to full depth, all but the thickest deposits.

From start to finish, 2 hrs. one side. No idea if that is good or bad but I'm pretty sure that without the blaster, it still wouldn't be done.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dave

I have not found anything that would completely dissolve the carbon.
It is always a lot of work the oil eater worked the same way it softened up all but the hardest deposits.
There is a high likely hood nothing safe would penetrate it. I have several brass brushes both straight and spiral. I'm still looking for the magic bullet! Aluminium being soft makes it tough.
It probably takes me a couple hours each side, spark plug hole is fun! The B48G was tan in the valve pockets and like rock, it was the worst I ever encountered! Soak remove, repeat. laborious to say the least! The oil eater seemed to work best at about 50/50 water mix.
I'd say you are right without something to soften it you would probably still be at it!

Good Job, they look good.
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts