Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be a silly question, but I wonder how many different ways some of you guys sharpen blades? Also to reestablish the correct bevel edge?
I have to say since this is my first Case and J40 deck, the blades are opposite for me. Blades Im use to are mainly flat with cut edge on right hand side facing me. I would clamp to the bench with end of blade over hanging and use my angle grinder trying to stay with the factory bevel angle.

Thanks
Bo

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
I know this may be a silly question, but I wonder how many different ways some of you guys sharpen blades? Also to reestablish the correct bevel edge?
I have to say since this is my first Case and J40 deck, the blades are opposite for me. Blades Im use to are mainly flat with cut edge on right hand side facing me. I would clamp to the bench with end of blade over hanging and use my angle grinder trying to stay with the factory bevel angle.

Thanks
Bo
I have one of these and love it.

Over the yrs. I had gotten way off (too steep) on the angle, by using an angle grinder. The barrel shaped bit is the one you'll use and if your blades are off very far, you'll use one up, so grab an extra.

Also plan to make a jig for my bench grinder (tons of Youtubes about them) but its on "the list" and you know how that goes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My blades aren't to beat up so, when it's time swap out my snow blower attachment and put on the mower deck, I remove the cover and vacuum out the debris, check the belt, grease the spindle fittings, and remove the blades for sharpening. I always use a 10" mill smooth file, and clean the file with a file card when it loads up.

Now here's an idea my friend at work is trying on his JD mower deck. He purchased (3) Gator Blades and plans on first trying using the Gator Blade in the center and use the standard blades on each side. Then he plans on cutting the grass and see what the clippings look like. He then was going to swap out the ends with the Gator and swap the middle with the standard blade. He was concerned with balance because the Gator Blades are beastly. May work better for chopping up the leaves even finer with the Gator Blades.

They don't make the Gator Blades for my 4016, but the do have the correct size and throw (blade height) and if my friend is successful I'll purchase a set and machine the "race track, oval" to fit the spindle and report back.

Good luck!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts