Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a J44-78 T8 deck (sn59735), which is a left side discharge. I saw in a post that the 3 digit series tractors use the left side discharge decks and the newer Ingersolls use the RM decks which are right side discharge decks. I have an 85 446 SN 14073957 with onan engine B43M sn 3622A, can a left hand discharge deck be used on this model and what year did this change?

·
Registered
633 Posts
coalcracker said:
I saw in a post that the 3 digit series tractors use the left side discharge decks and the newer Ingersolls use the RM decks which are right side discharge decks. I have an 85 446... can a left hand discharge deck be used on this model and what year did this change?
You have answered your own question. :thumbsup: Someone can tell you what year the change occured, but that is not important. You can use your left hand deck on your 3 digit tractor. The RM RH discharge decks are used on 4 digit tractors because the engines are turned "backward" in those models.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The last year of 3 digit tractors was 1988. Four digit tractors were released for 1989.

Right side discharge decks and left side discharge decks will FIT on 3 digit and 3 digit tractors. But FITTING is not the issue. It all comes down to the direction (Clockwise vs Counter-Clockwise) of rotation of the pulley on the PTO that drives the deck and the snow blowers. If you mount the wrong discharge deck on a tractor, then the blades will spin in the opposite direction to the way they should. The cutting edge of the blade will be on the wrong side of the blade direction. Blades are like propellers, in that they are shaped to create upward air flow to pull the grass blades upright for a clean cut. If you spin the blades the opposite way, they will push air downward, causing the blades of grass to flatten against the ground.. The turbulence created by the blades is supposed to work with the metal baffles on the underside of the deck to direct the grass clippings toward the discharge chute. Spinning the blades the opposite way will cause the deck to hold onto the clippings, thus causing the deck to plug up.

Your 1985 446 requires left side discharge decks ONLY.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.