Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of 400/ 4000 series tractors with the 3 point hitches that I would like to control the depth of my plow, when plowing. The big tractors have what I call a donut to control the amount of stroke on the hydraulic cylinders so that they can only collapse to a certain depth.

As a kid we used 3 point plows on the big tractors and we would drop the front of the plow in quickly, while hitting the other hydraulic lever to drop the back. Once you got the hang of it you could drop the plow in front pretty close, and adjust it quickly, if needed. My neck and back do not turn around to look as easily as when I was a kid, so turning around to adjust my depth isn't as easy as it used to be.

Any thoughts on where I can buy such things for my CI Garden tractor 3 point hitches?

Thanks!

Bill Moyer

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
1,986 Posts
I didn't quite go the 'donut' route. I set my 3 point 'bush hug' as the necessary height, cut a length of 2" PVC pipe, could have been 1 1/2, etc. I cut a length of pipe that fit between top of 3 poit cylinder and clevis. Then I cut part of the side out down the length of the PVC so I can snap it on over the cylinders rod.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sdunt,

Thanks for that! I had not thought of using PVC. I have some left over from a project last summer, so I should be able to move on with my project.

Again, I appreciate your posting!

Bill

·
Registered
58 Posts
If the tractor is setup properly for the plow, should be no need for a depth stop.
A plow should be run no deeper than about 1/2 it's plowing width, so a 10" plow should run no deeper than 5". The best way to set one up is to first determine the depth you'll be plowing. If 5", then run your left tires up on 5" blocks to mimic plowing position. Then adjust the side to side tilt till the plowshare is level to the ground. Then adjust 3rd arm until the rear of the land slide is level to 1/4" from the ground. If plow has an adjustable pitch built in, then use this instead of 3rd arm to adjust.

This is a basic starting point & you may find you need to adjust further to suit soil condition, or to make up for any stress flex.

I recommend adding a depth gauge wheel.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,265 Posts
These are readily available at TSC and show in stock at our local stores.

We've also ordered in some sets from SpeeCo and should be here in about 3-4 weeks. Once here, we'll intend to keep sets in stock at a better price than TSC.

If you are looking for quick order fill, here's a link;

I've been using these on my tractor for quite some time.

On the one hand they can be useful for 'depth control' as implied above, but they also are quite effective at partially isolating the 3 point from the mid-lift cylinder, by keeping the 3 point at near the maximum raised position.

Brian

1 - 8 of 8 Posts