Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
(:TRACTORMAN:)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned a 69' Case 444 PK for about 7 months now and have been looking for rear wheel weights for the same amount of time. People have told me to just fill my rear tires with washer fluid, but I want the ability to easily remove the weight. I live in the Pittsburgh, PA area and haven't seen factory rear wheel weights on either Craig's List or eBay locally in the past 7 months. Also, since I'm not trying to break the bank, I don't want to pay BIG money for weights...the fact of the matter is, since I haven't seen them listed at all, I don't know how much they would go for.

Has anybody attempted to make them? I've seen a guy fill a 5 gallon bucket 1/2 way with concrete adding 4 pcs of PVC pipe for carriage bolts thru holes, but this was for an older Sears tractor. As you know, the 444 has the large rear wheel.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Attached are pictures and drawings of what I made to add 300 lbs. per side to my 6018. With loaded tires, it's all that's needed to move full buckets of wet top soil.

These could be scaled down for your 444. I think the wheel ID and bolt pattern are the same, but I am not 100% sure about that. I have four 25 lb. weights that fit entirely inside the wheel and four 50 lb. weights on the outside.

I used a 1 1/8" grade 8 bolt. The weight center holes are technically claimed to be 1" but the tolerances aren't too tight on these weight plates. I found that most of the weights would fit on 1 1/8" but some would not so I had to ream them out. If I were making this for something like a 444 with about 100 lbs per side, I would just use a 1" bolt to avoid the hassle of having to ream out some of the weight plates. Also if I were only doing 100 lbs or so, I probably wouldn't bother notching the first plate for the bolt heads.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Steel prices are way down.Find a full service steel fabrication shop and look for some 12" diameter cutouts.I just got a quote for a pair of 12" x 1 1/4" steel discs for less than $100. I can drill the holes myself and pop them on my long wheel studs.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Why do you want them "easily removable"?
I thing, unless they stick way out the side, just leave them on. Where beet juice filling comes in....

Oh, BTW, a 16" tire from a Kubota is a bolt on fit and they may have weights available

·
(:TRACTORMAN:)
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right now I'm fabricating a custom front loader for my tractor. This adds ~750 lbs to my machine. After which, I'm fabricating a rear back hoe, adding another ~750 lbs to my machine. I'm thinking once I add the rear hoe attachment, I want to shed the weights. I won't always want the rear hoe attachment on. Just trying to plan ahead

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Right now I'm fabricating a custom front loader for my tractor. This adds ~750 lbs to my machine. After which, I'm fabricating a rear back hoe, adding another ~750 lbs to my machine. I'm thinking once I add the rear hoe attachment, I want to shed the weights. I won't always want the rear hoe attachment on. Just trying to plan ahead
Seems like an awful lot of weight!

BTW, I saw some pics yesterday, of a new tractor, on its nose, from too much weight in the front. The single, center axle pivot pin, let it fall, not just forward but then off to the side. Not pretty. Not pretty at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.