Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone I’m back on the 444, this time it got a real bad screech to it when I’m rolling forward. It doesn’t do it at all in reverse and it seems turning to the left and it barely does it. I was reading other forums but I wasn’t sure they were quite what I was looking for. I’ve already checked the spindles and I regreased them more often than not. On the hydraulic side I typically keep it 4-5” from the top and that’s where it currently is. I’m not sure if it’s something simple like the type of oil I’m using is wrong, (10-30 located in north central Kansas and I only run it in the summer). If anyone has any advise I’d much appreciate it. Also if anyone knows how to attach a video I could share that too.
Thank ya,

Austin

·
Administrator
8,360 Posts
Austin
It's really hard to figure out just by reading your post
I was thinking a video might help a bunch
Any oil dripping, might be something simple and cheap or something
not so cheap
What oil are you running, alot of us run Shell Rotella

Check all your nuts-and-bolts Kohler's are known to loosen up
My granddads 442 was always keeping me on my toes, one time I found 3 engine mounts
missing bolts there was only one still tight
The video will help us diagnose what's going on
You could do a search for Shell Rotella on this site

bigman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Austin
It's really hard to figure out just by reading your post
I was thinking a video might help a bunch
Any oil dripping, might be something simple and cheap or something
not so cheap
What oil are you running, alot of us run Shell Rotella

Check all your nuts-and-bolts Kohler's are known to loosen up
My granddads 442 was always keeping me on my toes, one time I found 3 engine mounts
missing bolts there was only one still tight
The video will help us diagnose what's going on
You could do a search for Shell Rotella on this site

bigman
Any clue how to add a video on this site, I have one just have no idea how to add it

·
Registered
205 Posts
Check the brake apply or clearance. If the brake band is dragging, they can make a real racket.

Brian
Austin, Brian may be onto something. Sometimes my 446, if it has sat for awhile, will make a squeeling noise when I first go slowly forward. The squeel depends on the speed of the tractor, not the engine. It also seems that humidity may play a factor. I've discovered that if I go quickly in reverse and stop the tractor with the parking brake, the squeel goes away. Sometimes it takes two times. My brake band probably needs adjusting, but it works fine to park and hold the tractor.
Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had a problem with a loud squeal, such as you describe, only it was intermittent. It happened this last spring when I took my 446 out of storage. Sprayed brake drum and band with "Brake Quiet". After application "rode" the brake lightly for a few minutes. Had to give it several applications, but eliminated squeal. Suspect rust in band and drum.

·
Administrator
2,893 Posts
I seldom use the parking brake on my car, but I wouldn't think of disconnecting it or driving around knowing it was inoperative.

Replacing the brake band is a simple fix and not really expensive. If you remove the band (which you seem to be suggesting) it will come back to bite you someday when you NEED the brake

YMMV

Reactions: Timj and dcdonah
1 - 8 of 8 Posts