Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys my 68 155 I have been working on has come to the point I am ready to fire her. Here's where I'll have some unwilling to even venture to help. I plan on running e85 and have done enough research to justify doing so. The carb has been gone through and jetted accordingly. Problem I am having at this moment is this.... Keyed her and the Facet posi-flow hummed and primed. Then I began losing fuel from what appeared to be the bowl gasket or the bolt that secures it. Looks like I am even blowing fuel out the carb itself. The e85 did some rotten things to some of my paint which prompted me to stop and clean up and cuss a bit. After of which I thought ok I am going to fire this. Unhooked the pump and started it up. Ran like a champ until running out of fuel. Got brave and hooked the pump back up and primed again but was careful to not let it leak. Fired and it ran great! My base tune seemed good but I did not let the engine warm too much so I will surely have some tuning to do yet. Wondering why I am leaking though. I reused the bowl gasket so may need to fix that. Guess I'm just looking for thoughts on the fuel pump and if anyone else has had a similar problem. Be assured I will share my findings on the e85.

·
Administrator
3,406 Posts
Hy ryans89notch,
A few thoughts raced into my mind as I read your post. Why E85 in a 1968 Kohler or any other small engine????? And the electric fuel pump that you are using may have to high of pressure output for the Kohler fuel system to withstand. Along with possible air/fuel mixture changes in the carb, what are you going to do about the spark timing changes needed to make E85 work. But why E85, but experimenting can be interesting!!!
Bob MacGregor in CT

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
As soon as the government (taxpayers) stops subsidizing ethanol it will disappear. I'm going to bottle some of it so my grandkids can auction it off in 50 years as an historical novelty from an experiment gone bad. :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Bart said:
As soon as the government (taxpayers) stops subsidizing ethanol it will disappear. I'm going to bottle some of it so my grandkids can auction it off in 50 years as an historical novelty from an experiment gone bad. :sidelaugh:
That's wishfull thinking, the people and Govt. really need to wake up on ethanol issues.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You do have E85 rubber fuel lines? You do know gaskets in KOHLER carb not designed for E85 don't you? You know E85 has less BTU's so unless you shaved head to raise compression you will have less HP? I see no reason for why your using E85? Bob M

·
Registered
66 Posts
robynrj said:
You do have E85 rubber fuel lines? You do know gaskets in KOHLER carb not designed for E85 don't you? You know E85 has less BTU's so unless you shaved head to raise compression you will have less HP? I see no reason for why your using E85? Bob M
You are correct about there being less BTU's in E85. BUT E85 is rated at about 100 - 105 octane level which will increase horsepower about 5% at a cost of about 10% extra fuel usage because of the lower BTU's

·
Registered
66 Posts
What is E-85? E-85 is the term for motor fuel blends (special blend of automotive fuel) of 85% ethanol (corn alcohol AKA "moonshine") and 15% gasoline. E-85 is an alternative fuel as defined by the U.S. Department of Energy. Besides its superior performance characteristics, ethanol burns cleaner than pure gasoline; it is a completely renewable, domestic, environmentally friendly fuel that enhances the nation's economy and energy independence. The addition of ethanol boosts octane and, because it is an oxygenate, ethanol contributes to a more complete fuel combustion resulting in reduced emissions of carbon monoxide and other ozone-forming emissions. Ethanol also degrades quickly in water and, therefore, poses much less risk to the environment than an oil or gasoline spill. To learn more about E-85, visit this web site: http://www.e85fuel.com.

Fueling with E85 is not only beneficial to the environment, you'll most likely see a small increase in performance, which will be accompanied by a small decrease in fuel economy. On average, when an engine is powered by E85, the engine will have about 5% more horsepower and a 10% drop in fuel-efficiency. The added power comes from ethanol's higher octane rating (ranging from 100-105). The fuel economy decrease comes from the fact that ethanol has a lower energy content than gasoline, which means the engine will have to use more of it.

E-85 can be used in virtually any gas engine fuel system, new or old. The only problem is, the rubber-like fuel line, seals and gaskets in the fuel system may deteriorate due to the alcohol content in E-85. But if the fuel system has neoprene or synthetic rubber parts, there should be no problems. E-85 works great for pulling competition, general yard use or for any small engine equipment. It'll create less carbon build up in the combustion chamber, too. I've reworked lots of carburetors for people who use their garden tractor just to mow grass with and they love how the E-85 produces more power. If an engine is converted correctly, E-85 will cause no problems with engine wear or carburetor deterioration. Basically, all that needs to be done to the carburetor is the main jet and fuel inlet holes will need to be enlarged slightly and the ignition timing advanced slightly. If this isn't done, the engine probably won't run on E-85, or if it does, it will run too lean on fuel, possibly damaging the valves, piston and piston rings because of the excessive operating temperature.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Tell all that to the people in third-world countries who used to rely on corn as a staple but thanks to this rather naive idea that ethanol is some sort of panacea in solving America's thirst for oil, they can can no longer afford to buy corn and are now unable to feed themselves or their families to the same extent that they used to.

If every acre of arable land all across North America was put to growing corn strictly for fuel, it would add up to a drop in the bucket when it comes to getting America off foreign oil dependence.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Mandatory ethanol use and Govt. subsities have almost doubled the price of corn in the U.S., There is also the real cost of manufacturing and the pollution involved in the manufacturing of ethanol. One has to remember that livestock feed is primarily made of corn. When the basic ingredient price doubles, the cost of feeding livestock increases. When that happens, the price of livestock also increases, and on and on. If some one wants to argue the we ought to be vegetarians, have them consider the acreage to grow corn would then need to be used to grow veggies for humans. What would happen to corn prices then? Would ethanol then be a viable option? When one gets referance from an online website, they must look at the side being taken by that site, then look for rebuttals to their statements also. One must keep an open mind and research both sides to make an intelligent decision for themselves.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I can easily understand the lower energy content reducing mileage. But what I don't understand is how a higher octane can increase horsepower (unless you change the compression). Can someone explain that to me?

·
Registered
877 Posts
It can't and could possibily lower it due to slower burn. Higher compression and timing alterations are needed to take advantage of the higher octane. Good rule of thumb- if timing is set correctly, run lower octane fuel unless spark knock occurs. No spark knock, fuel ok.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hydriv said:
Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Tell all that to the people in third-world countries who used to rely on corn as a staple but thanks to this rather naive idea that ethanol is some sort of panacea in solving America's thirst for oil, they can can no longer afford to buy corn and are now unable to feed themselves or their families to the same extent that they used to.

If every acre of arable land all across North America was put to growing corn strictly for fuel, it would add up to a drop in the bucket when it comes to getting America off foreign oil dependence.
I am in no way trying to convince anyone to use E85!! I don't think it is or will be the way to go. I was just explaining the increase in horsepower and fuel usage.

And on a side note, the only reason it is 85% ethanol instead of 100% ethanol like they use in Brazil or in other countries, is because people would buy it to drink. Why pay $15 for a fifth of Everclear when you could buy a gallon for $3.00??

·
Registered
103 Posts
Sorry....my flex fuel DODGE pu gets 20+% LESS fuel econmy than E10 when using E85.....cost per mile increases, so I need more gallons per year for my 65,000+ miles per year. Plus higher food prices added to buying more fuel means LESS $$$$ in my pocket at years end. Bob M

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.