Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently ran across this information that I thought might be helpfull. I thought this would be the most appropriate place to put it. Moderators please relocte if it isn't as I am still learning my way around.

This involves electronic ignition conversion from points. It's called "Points Saver" This gentleman appears to be involved in performance parts for Kohler and has developed this ignition box that will also work on Onan as long as the primary coil resistance is correct. It doesn't eliminate the points, but allows them to last nearly forever as it removes virtually all the current passing throught them. I'll post the email I sent him and his reply. I have no personal knowledge of this individual, but he seems legit. Hope this may benefit someone:
:mowlawn: :mowlawn: :mowlawn: :mowlawn: :mowlawn:

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your interest in our products. The PointSaver will work perfectly on Onan twin-cylinder engines. Just be sure the primary resistance of the ignition coil is above 3.0 ohms. This is determined by measuring across the (+) and (-) terminals with an ohm meter. You are correct on the tachometer - only works on single cylinder Kohler engines.

To order, you may send payment (money order, cashier's check, or personal check) for $32.00 ($28.00 for each module plus $4.00 First Class postage) to the address given below. Please make it payable to Kirk Engines, Inc. and enclose a copy of this e-mail along with your mailing address. The PointSaver is unconditionally guaranteed for one year from date of purchase. Should it fail or you are dissatisfied in any way, return it for exchange or full refund, your choice. Complete installation instructions and wiring diagram are included.

Thank you for your inquiry and I look forward to having you as a valued customer.

Dave Kirk

Kirk Engines, Inc.
N5389 Buena Vista Drive
Fond du Lac, WI 54937-7372

http://www.kirkengines.com
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:47 PM
Subject: Question on Points saver

Many Case/Ingersoll tractors were equipped with the Onan B43 two cylinder opposed engine. Will this product work with 2 cylinder engines. Looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see why it wouldn't, but I wanted to check with you first. They these Onans seem to have very short points life. Poor condensers I suspect.

Also, am I correct in that the tachometer is only set up for single cylinder?

Thanks,

Mark Hull

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Re: Electronic ignition conversion for Onan and Kohler engin

Well Mark,
Your enthusiasm is very much appreciated. I wish that I could tell you that the content of your post is new to the membership. :sidelaugh:

Dave Kirk is a member of this forum and he was invited by me to join and explain his product line. But don't be discouraged. I'm sure that there will be many things that someone with your background will be able to contribute to the forum. Please feel free to jump into any of the ongoing threads or begin other ones.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks Hydriv. :facepalm: Good to know........ No discouragement here. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts

Mark,
I went and reviewed the two posts made by Dave Kirk back in June. In hindsight, I find that I was a little hasty in my reply post above. Dave did not expand on his product line at all, which was indeed unfortunate for everyone. That fact makes your post much more important than I previously thought. My apologies for not checking this out prior to posting what I did. :facepalm: :facepalm:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Hey Hydriv,

Thanks, but no apology needed here. :wink: I know that Mr. Kirk says on his website that his is a weekend business as he has a full time job. Maybe you can contact him again and see if you can prod him a little to make a post and maybe expound about his product. It really looks like a nifty product.

I took care of several pieces of ground equipment on the ramp along with fixing and babysitting our DC-9's. Four were Onan in-line 2 cylinder 7.5 KW generators and 2 other pieces had the opposed engines. It seemed like all of them had short points life IMHO. Onan had an electronic conversion but discontinued it some time ago. I retro-fitted all the 7.5's with the Onan conversion and reliability was great! :thumbsup:

I'm out to pasture now, and DHL just about effectively put ABX Air out of business too. :cry: They just have a small charter operation in Wilmington, OH. now. So, I don't have access to the ground equipment anymore.

Can you take a good Ohm Meter and check across the stock coil on your tractor and see if the Ohm's are correct for his box? I'm really curious about it. Even if the stock coil didn't work I'll bet the aftermarket one he sells could be retro-fitted easily.
Mark

·
Registered
2,546 Posts

I have installed Pointsavers on several tractors and I like them--no more condensers=fewer electrical problems and no more points to install.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.