Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rebuilding my 1982 case . The onan B43m engine is smoking a bit. I would like to get it rebuilt if possible hopefully in Ontario some where . I am hoping some members from Ontario could recommend a machine shop to do that and a parts source . I also have a rebuilt kohler magnum m18 that I could use instead . I would need the hydraulic bracket and a adapter for the pto to attach the stub shaft to flywheel To use the Ezze clutch. Would these parts from a Kohler 321 fit the magnum. Looking for suggestions , part numbers to figure out what direction to go ?
thanks .

·
Registered
356 Posts
TDC Engines in Kingston is familiar with Onans. This is where I had a CCKA machined. I stripped the engine and took it there along with the manual. After measurement I was given a list of what needed to be replaced. Boomer's Influence supplied parts and talked me through the process with a wealth of information.

The B43 in the older Cases didn't have an oil filter so some will take this as an opportunity to try to find a block with a filter adapter.

I think Engine Bore in Toronto may also do this kind of work, but the focus there seems to be on Kohlers.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Are Kohler Magnum's good engines? My JD317 has a Kohler Series 1 engine, and I think JD went to Onan on the 318 because of failures; but I think the Magnum's are different engines. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Are Kohler Magnum's good engines? My JD317 has a Kohler Series 1 engine, and I think JD went to Onan on the 318 because of failures; but I think the Magnum's are different engines. Thoughts?
As I understand it the original KT series were a splash oil system. The KT Series 2 was a semi pressurized oil system without a filter. The Magnums are basically the same engine but with a oil filter.

This fall I had a KT Series 2 (1984) finally give up. In 2015 Dad had his 1980 KT (series 1) refreshed, .010 over. Not sure why he did it as there was no smoke or knocking.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
4,244 Posts
If you are going with the Onan, contact Boomer to make sure the oversize pistons you need are available. Also most engine shops usually want the new pistons :"in hand' and measure and hone the cylinder accordingly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts