Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help. i started having issues cutting grass after 15 min or so the engine starts to sputter like it’s not getting gas. I pull the PTO lever off and engine runs like it should. Have to wait a couple seconds and then engage pto again and it runs fine. seems every right turn i make it sputters and then cuts out when pto is still engaged. if i drive it around with out pto engaged it runs fine.
I replaced fuel filter put some gas additive in tank and checked fuel line no leaks. changed oil put put in new sae 30w in engine. engine is really hot took temps see pics. could it be overheat issue? or is it fuel line sucking air when it heated up??
A2CD086A-6B9B-468F-8D38-DF7CA6607D65.jpeg
67E7EA47-298A-4413-8BD6-E58563C02B22.jpeg

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I am unsure about correct temps. But does the tractor feel hot? Are the air ways behind the shrouds clean?
I have used mechanic in a bottle a few times. It works but if the carb is clogged it only delays the need to take apart the carb to clean it.

but a few questions.
The tractor only acts up after 15 minutes of mowing. You can drive it around for a while no problem?

does the choke Change the way the tractor runs?

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is also a possibility that the gas cap isn't venting properly so it creates a vacuum in the tank. The next time the problem happens loosen the cap to see if the problem goes away. If that helps you should be able to take the cap apart and clean it out to solve the problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check your timing. If it’s late in timing it will make the engine run hot. And check engine to frame to battery grounds.

Noel

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am unsure about correct temps. But does the tractor feel hot? Are the air ways behind the shrouds clean?
I have used mechanic in a bottle a few times. It works but if the carb is clogged it only delays the need to take apart the carb to clean it.

but a few questions.
The tractor only acts up after 15 minutes of mowing. You can drive it around for a while no problem?

does the choke Change the way the tractor runs?
the choke does change the way the tractor runs. the tractor run perfectly fine without the mower deck engaged. i will be pulling the shrouds off today to get a look.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is also a possibility that the gas cap isn't venting properly so it creates a vacuum in the tank. The next time the problem happens loosen the cap to see if the problem goes away. If that helps you should be able to take the cap apart and clean it out to solve the problem.
i did blow through the cap and it is clear and that didn’t change anything. i was thinking if the fuel line may be cracked or sucking air possibly?

·
Registered
54 Posts
the choke does change the way the tractor runs. the tractor run perfectly fine without the mower deck engaged. i will be pulling the shrouds off today to get a look.
Sounds like you need to rebuild your carb. Get yourself the proper rebuild kit from one of our site supporters, tear it down and clean every orifice with torch tip cleaner or other small diameter wire. Once done, run seafoam through your gas for the first tank. l think your carb is plugged and not getting proper mixture fuel/air. Dont forget to replace your fuel filter while your at it also.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A9E71E1C-49E7-4127-B645-4ADD5CD33B67.jpeg
D69345CD-420E-4455-A73A-A0ABDBC6717E.jpeg
Sounds like you need to rebuild your carb. Get yourself the proper rebuild kit from one of our site supporters, tear it down and clean every orifice with torch tip cleaner or other small diameter wire. Once done, run seafoam through your gas for the first tank. l think your carb is plugged and not getting proper mixture fuel/air. Dont forget to replace your fuel filter while your at it also.
tore apart carb and found the point was hanging from plunger other than that it wasn’t to bad in there cleaned it up and now on way to find new plunger. float looks good and all pinholes clear.
0E6D7EDC-B028-4E69-9856-5D3A1C9A2719.jpeg

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check your timing. If it’s late in timing it will make the engine run hot. And check engine to frame to battery grounds.

Noel
I took carb and intake off and cleaned both out with carb cleaner. ran really well for a while but now it’s back to bogging down. it’s not shutting completely off like it did before but it’s better. anyway thinking it could be the timing is off or valve clearance is off.
I took off air filter and it was bubbling in the carb what’s causing the bubbling in the carb?
9246E0BC-853D-4E48-ABBD-C8DFF0C44E01.png

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does it still seem hotter than normal.

Noel
Starts off strong when engine is cooled down then once it gets hot start having issues. Yes it still seems pretty hot. so I'm thinking it could be timing or I did notice that the intake bolt to the engine was a little stripped and not very tight. So I may need to put in 5/16" helicoil so I can tighten the intake manifold to the engine? Either way it runs fine for a while then after 20 minutes or so it starts acting up again, loos of power and bogs down but then picks up and goes for a while but just doesn't want to run mower deck and I have to take it back to garage.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Try rerouting, or removing high spots in your fuel line. if the engine is hot, as you stated, it could be vapor lock causing the problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Could be a lean fuel mixture too. That will make them run a little hot. Check all your intake fuel bolts. I had one a month ago that the carb bolts backed out, quite a difference when I tightened them up on how the engine ran.

Noel

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be a lean fuel mixture too. That will make them run a little hot. Check all your intake fuel bolts. I had one a month ago that the carb bolts backed out, quite a difference when I tightened them up on how the engine ran.

Noel
I don't think carb. adjustment has been discussed, not guessing what the running problem could be, but I do see in the photo of the carb.top that the bowl vent hole is covered with the cleaner to carb.gasket, that can really screw things up. valve adj.and timing is not the problem. Good Luck

·
Registered
256 Posts
Does your muffler have a hole in it? The only reason I ask is that I had the same issues, did the same repairs as you, and nothing solved it. The repairs seemed to be the fix but then come back every time. I then discovered that the "passenger" side inlet pipe to the muffler was loose. Upon further inspection I found it was broken. I took the muffler apart and had it welded up and now it runs like a dream! So, long story short. Is your muffler leaking hot exhaust gasses back into the engine bay?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts