Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm new here (I also posted in the Introductions area), and I have a question for all you CCI gurus:

I'm looking at a 25th anniversary Case/Ingersoll 446 that comes with rear wheel weights & chains and a Case snow thrower. One of the reasons I want to move up from my 2005 "Crap Cadet" lawn tractor is so that I can do snow removal on my up-hill, 800' gravel driveway. I like the idea of a snow thrower vs. blade, as I currently have the driveway plowed, and the blade really beats the hell out of the road surface every winter.

Would this 446 I've described have enough traction to do the job? I like the 446 because of its "just-right" size - big and tough enough to do real work, but still compact enough to be used for lawn mowing in summer - but I'm worried that even with weights & chains, the 2WD 446 might not have enough traction and that I should be looking at a 4WD tractor of some kind.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hi grant.

Just read your intro. First off, welcome!!

Others will chime in on some of your other concerns, but you being new to CCI, I would first like for you to use either this sites' search feature or googles', and search keywords...

holding valve (w/ 446 / Case)

retard (position / setting) (Case)

446 down hill (Case)

And read about how these machines can run away down hill if you are not aware of how to use / control them.

I am not trying to scare you off in the least. These are great machines, but because you mention a long hill, I want you to be aware of this before you plop down a lot of money and end badly.

Just a quick heads up note. Others will add to this and your other concerns.

Nice to meet you and have you here.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
That tractor, when properly maintained, should be able to take everything mother nature can throw at it. You can continue to add weight after you purchase the tractor. The tires can be filled with fluid. You can add a weight box on the rear.

The only way to get stuck with the caster is when you get really heavy snowfalls (12"+) and you have to raise the caster to lop the top off the snow. In these situations you just need to take it slow.

Last piece of advice: Always keep an extra OEM caster belt in the garage.

·
Registered
128 Posts
you will have no issues with the tractor I plow a long up hill drive with mine and have not had any issues I have 160lb wheel weights and chains and I have even done it with just my ag tires if it gets real bad I add more weight on the rear you might have an issue with the blower and the gravel I couldnt get the drive clean enough to get up the drive with it on the gravel I use a 54" blade with a rubber cutting edge it is the best thing I done for snow removal(besides buying the case it self)it doesnt beat up the surface and gets the drive nice and clean

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff, thanks for the pointers - I did some quick reading and see that these tractors operate a bit differently than my Crap Cadet (which does have a separate mechanical service brake). It does sound like with some practice, I could operate the tractor confidently, and a holding valve sounds like a good addition!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brendon and bigplow, thanks for the feedback and tips on snow removal with a 446. I also found a couple of videos on YouTube of 446's blowing and plowing some pretty deep snow - I think this tractor could do the job on my driveway, especially if I don't let the snow get too deep.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I snowblow an uphill 200 ft gravel driveway using a 446 with no problems. I do have a holding valve and loaded rear turf tires and this year will also have loaded fronts. I have no problem with power and find I get better snow clearance uphill than down. On gravel you either need to keep the blower raised slightly or have wider and longer skids. GEPs pipe mod to the cutting edge also is a good idea. All in all works well.
Ray

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts
Jeff, thanks for the pointers - I did some quick reading and see that these tractors operate a bit differently than my Crap Cadet (which does have a separate mechanical service brake). It does sound like with some practice, I could operate the tractor confidently, and a holding valve sounds like a good addition!
The 1987 has build in holding valve. I would offer guy, because OBO in add 2150.00 to 2500 high I go, that tractor at 4300 going to set awhile at that price a lot seller go high inch down to get most from sale. Tractor is 27 years old and should have hour meter. You need more info on tractor before buy at any price I would not do a OBO on info given about tractor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great input from everyone - thanks! I think my next step is to call the seller, ask some more questions (how many hours, what work has been done on tractor, how long he's owned it, do the mower and caster work properly, etc), then if I like what I hear, I'll make an appointment to see the tractor in person.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.