Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Evaluate this deal

4K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Brendon 
#1 ·
Looking to make a fair offer on this package deal. This has been offered to me privately, as the owner is a relative of mine:

Ingersoll 4016 Onan, 700 hours, new hydraulic pump.
RM48 48" mowing deck recently rebuilt with new spindle housings and bearings, 4 sets of blades
HH-34 3-point hitch
HBFB Hydra-Bagger, new motor seal
new electric pto last year
Hydraulic PTO
SB-48 48" snowcaster
HT-41 41" rototiller
F-27 Sleeve hitch adapter
sleeve hitch back blade (Agri-fab)
tire chains
HSWD Ingersoll log splitter

Originally, I actually only wanted the log splitter and he is willing to split that out of the package for me. But, I was thinking, "what the hey, might as well become a two tractor family". I have a price in mind, but still am curious what the groups great accumulated fountain of knowledge spews forth.

So, a fair price on the log splitter as a standalone deal?
Or, a fair price on the whole package?

Thanks,
Paul

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is my vote, assuming everything is nice, garage kept and in keeping with the 700 hour tractor usage:

Ingersoll 4016 Onan, 700 hours, new hydraulic pump. $1400w/deck
RM48 48" mowing deck recently rebuilt with new spindle housings and bearings, 4 sets of blades
HH-34 3-point hitch $650
HBFB Hydra-Bagger, new motor seal $550
Hydraulic PTO $250
SB-48 48" snowcaster $500
HT-41 41" rototiller $500
F-27 Sleeve hitch adapter $175
sleeve hitch back blade (Agri-fab) $150
tire chains $50
HSWD Ingersoll log splitter $900

That's a lot of package if you split it up. As a relative, you need to sort out what you guys need to exchange it ...

Brian

#7 ·
mikebramel said:
On ebay, I would say it would be worth $2500-3500
Every once in a while, Mike and I are in agreement.

This would be a "Blue Moon Event". :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

It's not that i disagree with Brian either but he looks at it from a dealer's point of view. That is a valid position when one is strictly going from one Ingersoll dealer to another and comparing the offerings found there. Craigslist is a completely different perspective and so is e-Bay. We are back to the same old issues here. What something is worth is not necessarily what it will bring on the open market. Location, demand, shipping costs all play a part in figuring out value. You may pay more at a dealer but if he's a reputable guy........then he will stand behind what he sells. You are on your own when buying privately. Even Paypal won't protect you if the engine tosses a rod a week later.

Secondly......... the bigger the package, the harder it is to sell (forget the obvious jokes). Few people are willing to drop 4 or 5 K to buy a tractor. Few people have a clue as to what the replacement cost of this package is. Few people have a need for all these attachments. All of that has a tendency to shrink the Buyer's pool significantly.

#8 ·
bhildret said:
Here is my vote, assuming everything is nice, garage kept and in keeping with the 700 hour tractor usage:

Ingersoll 4016 Onan, 700 hours, new hydraulic pump. $1400w/deck
HH-34 3-point hitch $650
HBFB Hydra-Bagger, new motor seal $550
Hydraulic PTO $250
SB-48 48" snowcaster $500
HT-41 41" rototiller $500
F-27 Sleeve hitch adapter $175
sleeve hitch back blade (Agri-fab) $150
tire chains $50
HSWD Ingersoll log splitter $900

That's a lot of package if you split it up. As a relative, you need to sort out what you guys need to exchange it ...

Brian
Paul: What an impressive package. I think Brian's extensive knowledge very accurately valued the tractor and individual components IMHO. Assuming everything is in very good condition. My thought is that a buyer usually gets the benefit of a package. Some logic is I guess is the seller going to all the trouble dealing with numerous buyers if everything is split up. So I think it should be less that the roughly $4600 if you add everything up. I think I would offer $2700 to $3300 to a relative for this package if it was me and not feel guilty. Fair both ways. If it was simply a seller I didn't know I would offer $2500 and see what happens. Curious why the hydraulic pump went with such low hours. Also so many toys and so few hours.
Not saying the relative is misrepresenting the hours, it just seems odd to me.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

#9 ·
mikebramel said:
On ebay, I would say it would be worth $2500-3500
My perception is that the ebay BIN prices tend to run on the high side. Is that what you mean?

As to condition, I have not been able to stop over and look at it yet. He installed the pump himself but had the dealer verify the system pressure and relief valve settings.

Case and Ingersoll equipment is not too hard to find in my area, so the package deals that I have seen are usually a good value. The current owners perception of the value of this package has been run down by the local JD dealer offering him $700 for the all of this on trade for a new SCUT. He obviously walked away from that offer.

The one piece I don't have a good handle on the value is the log splitter.

Paul

#10 ·
Hydriv said:
Few people are willing to drop 4 or 5 K to buy a tractor. Few people have a clue as to what the replacement cost of this package is. Few people have a need for all these attachments. All of that has a tendency to shrink the Buyer's pool significantly.
It is strange, isn't it? I would think most guys would jump at the chance to grab a package deal knowing the acquisition cost and hassle of chasing down all the attachments that they are eventually going to desire. I remember being at an estate sale years ago where the owner had just purchased a new Wheel Horse (tiller, snowblower, cab, deck, blade, wagon). The tractor had just been delivered by the dealer, and driven from trailer to the shed. The owner died before he ever got to use it. Guys were balking at the $1200 asking price for the probably $6500 value.

Paul

#11 ·
In my opinion, there are two types of buyers.

One of them is a person who is generally ignorant about the various brands available, the fact that there are several price points within those brands and a total lack of knowledge regarding the costs of the models and the attachments. At best, all they know is what they have seen when walking around Ace, HD, Sears and Lowe's. The don't even realize that they are feeding at a greasy spoon diner because they have never walked into the high end restaurant known as the ag dealer.

The second buyer is in the minority. He's the guy that does his research in advance and probably is a member of one or more forums. He's been self-schooled on which models are the most desirable and what they normally sell for on the open market.

As for the Deere dealer, he is making sure he will never lose a dime by taking that package in on trade, so don't blame him. He's not an Ingersoll dealer. His customers don't come in there looking to buy an Ingy, they want a Deere. As such, the Ingy will be a tough sell for him and he's not properly equipped to back it up after the sale. He would likely offer it on an as is basis for $1000.00, cash and carry... no guarantee. He gets his profit money back plus an extra $300.00 to cover commission and overheads.

If anyone deserves to be bytch-slapped, it is the estate trustee who should have phoned the dealer and put the package back there on a consignment basis.

Right now, your relative is upset about the $700.00 offer . Why don't you just ask him straight up what he wants for it? What number would make him feel OK? If that number makes you feel OK, then make the deal. Don't try to save the world, Paul. We make enough bad deals in our lifetime and we need the odd good one to offset them. :thumbsup:

#12 ·
Paul, yes they can. A 4118 with a rear deck is not worth $4000. But that is what I think it would go for on ebay.

Unless it looks like junk, or the dealer wasn't listening to what attachments it came witih $700 is an insult. It would be on their lot for $2500. They would wholesale it for atleast $12-1500

#13 ·
Hydriv said:
Why don't you just ask him straight up what he wants for it? What number would make him feel OK? If that number makes you feel OK, then make the deal. Don't try to save the world, Paul. We make enough bad deals in our lifetime and we need the odd good one to offset them. :thumbsup:
This is what you should do in my opinion. Just ask him what he wants straight up. I hope you get a good deal. Up here in Maine you don't see a whole lot of Case/Ingersoll stuff go up and I've jumped on a few CL listings and paid full price for equipment that looked like hell and needed its asking price and more put back into it in parts, paint and labor to get it going. Don't hesitate to get a good deal. Chances are, as good as the stuff looks at first glance, after you get it home and use it for a couple months you'll really dig into it and check out the "wear" parts of the machine, you'll find yourself putting up a few hundred dollars in replacement parts. I'm not saying that these Case / Ingersolls don't last, it's just that certain parts have a shelf life and 700 hours is more than enough to wear out a number of these parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.