Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I been trying to decide what and how to begin fixing up my fleet.

well I decided to start with my favorite tractor.
It’s my favorite because of how it runs and drives. Everything about it just feels right.

I forgot to take pictures at the beginning but this is where I am right now
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire
This is a picture of the tractor before taking it apart. I am not a fan of the paint job but it’s how I got it.
the over spray from the white paint is everywhere.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
This is as far as I got with scrubbing the over spray and I can tell you I do not have the attention span for these tasks.

the plan
New v61 tires
Repaint tires
Repaint black metal on tractor
Repaint fenders and other parts
Clean up oil
Use 448 hood
New wires and anything else that pops up.
I am hoping to have this one done in the next week or 2 because I have more needing attention before the snow comes

·
Administrator
8,315 Posts
Wow
That's a hot looking flame job the PO did to your tractor :ROFLMAO:
Sometime ya never know what those PO's have on there mind :devilish:
Alittle bit of tape would have saved you a bunch of time now you'll have to soak the little parts :ROFLMAO:
to get the overspray off :mad:
I like the orange and white can for loosening up those stuck parts :mad:
Thanks for sharing your project with all of us here at CCI.(y)
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

bigman ☺

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes the kroil is made by the hands of god himself. I have never seen anything work the way that does.

the PO was a tinkerer. His wife and kids did not know the full story about the tractor but they believe he was the original own and used to have a mower deck for it.
there was a old card wedged between the battery that had summer and winter instructions for oil and what to do. Everything had writing on it.

I appreciate that type of stuff. I plan on using spare hood and fenders and leaving the original sheet metal alone. I have the Jay Leno view on items. “We are only a temporary Keeper in the vehicles journey”

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did some more today. Need a second coat on some items. some parts have 3 coats. I got a lot of items cleaned up and all organized.
I am hoping to get more painting done tomorrow and get the front ready to be re assembled.

my goal for tomorrow is finis painting theblack tins and get the odds and ends buttoned up.
this weekI want to get the red parts prepped and painted. I want it to be re assembledby mid December.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is the first time I’ve ever done anything like this. Not that it’s “hard” or beyond my ability but I feel a bit lost on how to go about it all. Like order of operations type lost.

I am enjoying it all so far. But if anyone has tips done be shy as I have another tractor coming in for the same thing right after this one.

·
Administrator
4,185 Posts
Keep at her! One tip I can offer from the pics is keep the heat on! Not sure what the temps are in your uninsulated shed/shop but Paint likes to be handled at 70-80 degrees to lay down but not run and more importantly dry in a timely manner so as not to absorb every bit of dust in the building.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the wood stove going. It was 55-70 in there depending how o kept up with the stove.

the shed was/is my wife’s grandfathers. I purchased their house over the summer for a rental and he gets life time occupancy of the shed haha it was the only thing he really cared about in the deal. I stocked the wood stove before I left.

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,332 Posts
This is the first time I’ve ever done anything like this. Not that it’s “hard” or beyond my ability but I feel a bit lost on how to go about it all. Like order of operations type lost.

I am enjoying it all so far. But if anyone has tips done be shy as I have another tractor coming in for the same thing right after this one.
One step at a time and take your time. It's looking great so far. I know from past experience I would get over anxious to get the tractor done, but it takes time to get all your ducks in a row. Don't rush the painting, you'll be happy down the road that you didn't. Like Dundee said don't stir up any dust, especially around parts that you will see later on like the hood.

Keep the Peace
Harry

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes last night I had more I wanted to accomplish but I started painting and then realized I should of waited and finished taking the quick hitch pins off and sanded those. I ended up stoking the fire and enjoyed the warmth for 10 minutes waiting for my pizza to arrive.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I might have over estimated the heat in the shed. I went in this morning to check on how the items from Saturday looked and I thought to my self “that still looks wet” so I touched it and yep it was gooey.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wood Shelving Flooring Wood stain Hardwood

Bumper Gas Machine Wood Audio equipment
So this is what the paint looks like since Saturday. The shiny spots are still wet and the rough spots are gooey. All sheet metal was cleaned with tack cloth and mineral spirits and allowed to air dry.

any thoughts?

·
Administrator
4,185 Posts
Too cold. Looks like your paint lifted the primer underneath in spots too. I too found out years ago paint likes at LEAST 36 hours of 70 plus degrees to harden properly. I'd strip them and start over. Can you add an electric heater to your shed for when the wood fire gives out?

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Asphalt Wood Gas Engineering Composite material

Wood Gas Space Ceiling Metal

Wood Interior design Floor Ladder Bag
Did some more painting tonight. I moved all the painted pieces to the area that the stove is in and put up some plastic over the door. I put some logs that were cut down more recently and chocked it down. I plan on going down in the morning and starting the fire again.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hand Bottle Beer Fluid Ingredient

Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Gas Wood stain

Amber Orange Wood Material property Gas

Wood Orange Automotive exterior Rectangle Amber
Engine paint on the left is almost a exact match.
Allis charmers on the right. Both are very close but the engine paint is almost exact. It’s a little shiny but is close enough for this project

1 - 16 of 16 Posts