Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Senior Member
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
Joined
·
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit of a warning to CCI LOADER owners, verify where your Throttle and Choke control cables are routed.. Make sure they DO NOT run over top the loader control valve. Or you could wind up with this:
Gas Aluminum can Drink Tin Human leg


Working on my '73 - 646, loader and loader control valve leaks oil.. Since I have the engine off for other issues, its a great time to fix the loader valve.. Once I got it out and cleaned up I found that the Throttle and choke controls were routed over top of the valve and were rubbing on the loader lift spool and had worn grooves into it.. also wear patterns can be seen on the casting. The casting is not an issue.

The lift spool is setup like the spools in the TCV with an O ring immediately inside the casting . When the lift spool is locked in the 'float' position, these grooves in the spool are aligned with the O-ring, therefore, NO seal...

Even when the tractors were made the part replacement for the spool 'rod' was to replace the ENTIRE VALVE. Which, 45 years later, Ya.. Umm, not happening..

I guess fortunately this damage is on a less used portion on the valve. But, still every time you lower the loader, this will leak and I had the habit of parking the tractor with the lift control locked in the Float position, so it would sit there and dribble forever.

Based on knowing that others had used 'metal filled epoxy' to fix dings and scratches on Hydraulic cylinder rods, I figured; what have I got to loose? If the epoxy sticks and stays in place great. if it pops out, I'm probably no worse off.

So I scuffed up the grooves with some 80 grit sandpaper, being careful to ONLY scratch inside the area for repair. And then I cleaned the entire rod with Acetone. I also took the rod and the JB Weld into the house and let them adjust to room temps before I started the work. Mixed up standard JB and troweled it into the 'wound'. Let it set all night in the house.

Next morning I carefully filed off much of the excess. Then I put it in the metal lathe to see how close to perfect I could get it. The big thing for me, was to not scratch any of the existing surfaces.. So I turned the JB section down to about .001 oversized.

Bicycle part Automotive tire Automotive exterior Rim Material property


"turning" the plastic does not leave a smooth polished surface like the ground surfaces of the spool, and since I have stacks of 1000 grit wet or dry sand paper, I very slowly polished the JB and the shaft to final size.

So far, it fits in the valve and slides well with new O Rings. I'll report back once I get the tractor back together and running as to how the repair works. Wish me luck..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,127 Posts
Wishing you Good Luck :fingerscrossed: While you are under there make sure those cables are not against any of the steel hydraulic lines too. They wore about half way through one line on my 448, caught it before it started to leak while doing a close inspection when I first got the tractor.

:cheers:
Gordy
 

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
Joined
·
2,613 Posts
I put some rubber hose over the throttle and choke cables to prevent the scuffing.

Keep the Peace :trink:
Harry
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,351 Posts
I just looked thru all the parts manuals for 646s and although there were some part number changes, all had two O rings on each spool. I wonder if this control valve got thru inspection without the O ring groove having been machined in that one spool bore. I'll bet that it was leaking big time!:geek:
 

·
Senior Member
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
Joined
·
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on Diagrams that's pretty much the same as the drain - return line port.

My understanding is that those valves were also used in the JI Case 18xx skid loaders. But I've not found a parts diagram to verify that..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
I figured it was unused, as it has a plug in it, I just wondered if it had an optional use. I assume they may have used this valve on other Case products, as it was already in existence, so why not use it across other products? ------Metalguy
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,351 Posts
Hi Troops,
I just got my 6018L back together and running, Mad Mackie is a happy but dirty camper! Ran it for .4 hours, operated everything, no leaks! I mowed for 5 hours today and took a nap when I got home, had supper and got going on the 6018L, good thing I stocked up on 15W40, it took 2.5 gallons! I had to use the old bracket and bushing on the bucket handle as it got delayed in USPS system. When it arrives I will install it and check for leaks.:grin::geek:
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,351 Posts
Was using my 6018L today, stopped to look it over and my heart sank as there was a leak on the L/H side. Brought it back into the garage, removed the famous missing panel and looked in, no oil leaks! I happened to be a loose fitting on the L/H outside on the the hose to tube fitting for the bucket angle. Tightened it, went back out with it, worked it for a half hour, no leaks. The transaxle housing has a crack that goes into the drive motor forward lower mount bolt threads. I know about this and I have a transaxle housing in stock to replace it with. A job to do later in the season when the spirit moves me!!:lol::geek:
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top