Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

so today I spent a little time working on my 120, and I have decided that my steering needs some work..

All aspects of the steering/front axle seem to be quite loose. I would like to start with the tie rod and drag link. On one end of the drag link, it has a ball joint.. Simple enough, pretty cut and dry on the repair there, but the opposite end and tie rod are what I call "fishmouth and pin" setups.. The pins show a bit of wear, but even where it is still pretty good it is really loose in the holes.

What would be the best approach on making it tighter? Weld the holes up and bore em back out? Ream and bushing? Bigger pin?

I almost hate to make the pin holes any larger, as a couple of them don't have a whole lot of meat around em to begin with..

Thanks for suggestions in advance,

Brad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bushing it may work, probably quite nicely.. That was kind of my original thought, well, no, the Lincoln lock-tite was my first idea.. but was wondering what others have done. (yes, I've welded up and re-drilled a time or 2, and it is a pain, most of the time.)

I'll start looking into some bushings this afternoon.. Probably be just as easy to get some bushing stock made..

Brad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Never thought of that.. That could be a better idea yet, the tie rod is kinda bent up, and has aftermarket holes.. (that the goofy hitch thing was hooked to..) Would require slightly more work, but nothing I couldn't handle.

Then, just have to bush the spindles.. and perhaps one end of the drag link.. Might be able to fix that in a similar manner.. I never looked real close at that end.

First stop will be the hardware store after a short time here to see what I can come up with for pins.. Maybe I can find something that would fit the sloppy holes snugly (but I am betting not.. The chances of it being worn "just enough" are slim :lol: )

Thanks again,

Brad

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.