Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever had any luck, or even seen, a foot control on a 7020? I would love to have the travel control on the floor. I have a Sears box store tractor with a hydrostatic drive. I push the pedal forward, it goes forward. Push the pedal back, it goes back. It seems like the set up that Ingersoll created just isn't that good. There are so many posts of people having issues with the linkage, the banana plate, the ball joints... Has anyone ever just torn it all out and started from scratch? I remember seeing a few posts on doing this with 400 and 4000 series tractors, but never on the 600, 6k, or 7K. I would love to take some off the shelf parts from somewhere and adapt them for this purpose. After all, I only have to make a valve go in and out an inch in either direction. How hard can that be? (insert sarcastic chuckle here)

Love to hear everyones thoughts.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If you think that it is simple, then I suggest that you proceed.

A 200 or 400 Series tractor is completely hand operated. Pull the travel lever into full reverse and then push it to full forward. What's the distance that the knob on the lever travels?

It's that long travel that gives the Operator such precision control over the travel spool that only moves a fraction of that distance. If you want a smooth-acting foot control, then that's what you need to duplicate if the foot pedal is going to control direction AND ground speed. Right now, your foot pedal only controls ground speed and the lever looks after direction. In other words, your foot pedal is only moving half the distance.

Now, it is possible to do this with two pedals... one for FWD and another for REV but you would have to come up with a self-centering set-up that would instantly return the pedal to neutral if your foot is removed from it. And you would have to incorporate a neutral safety switch for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of something like this:

http://www.davestractorworldonline.com/ ... %20Kit.JPG

I see the dilemma about the speed and direction. I pictured using the existing rod that is there, and attaching a spring loaded pedal to the right side. When i pushed down it would push or pull the valve in or out, and depending on how hard i pushed I could control the speed. With the springs I would be able to let off the pedal and the tractor would stop.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
That appears to be a "rocker style pedal". Push with your heel and you back up. Push with your toes and you go FWD.

Keep in mind that you have to keep your foot on a pedal all the time and you need to keep it steady. Ergonomics play a part here. If the pedal is not placed at a comfortable angle when you are seated and also in a comfortable location, then your leg won't like it.

I'm not saying that it cannot be done. Like all thing worthwhile, it will require a lot of thought and likely quite a few tries before coming up with something that works well enough to make you happy.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I had a Kubota G5200 with a rocker style pedal. Hated it! on rough terrain it was near impossible to maintain a consistent speed, and sometimes even direction. And on smooth going the ergonomics were awful created a cramp in the calf in short order.

On the other hand I have a JD 455 with a two pedal arrangement. Large pedal forward, smaller one outside and back a little for reverse. After modifying the reverse pedal to get more speed out of it, I really prefer this over any other setup I've tried.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have seen this set up on a few other tractors. I think it might be the easiest to use. The only problem I see with it is it might take up too much space. When you look under the machine, there is a lot going on where the control valve. I will look at the schematics of the JD 455 and see if I can adapt it or at least see if a similar set up would work.

·
Registered
323 Posts
When the day comes to rework my 644, that inconvenient, overly engineered foot control is headed out the door. I will make a foot control setup as close to what I have done on my 400's to replace it. I get why they did what they did (safety), but its annoying to use. I understand that Ingersoll uses the same technique on the newer tractors with "foot control".

The good news is you do not have to reinvent the wheel at least in regards the 644 (I probably couldnt afford to even look under a 7020!). The spool is essentially the SAME spool as all the GT's when it comes to the spools. Position and spool travel distance is the same. Overall connect-ability is similar.

So, if we simply use a 200-400 travel control handle as an example, we can easily measure the original throw distance of the welded on tab. Duplicate that and make a new control rod and you have step one done.

Step 2 just requires the installation of the same pedal shaft and bell crank method I have used successfully on the GT's. In the end, I will eliminate that extra step of "shifting", and use my hands for steering and bucket control. I wasnt born with three hands !

Study some of the photos I have out there on the foot control for the GT's and see how that might line up with the 7020's mechanisms. The old write up on it is found here: http://www.data-cut.com/casefc.htm

·
Registered
20 Posts
The other "easier" part is, the 600, 6000, and 7020 all use a self centering spool for the travel. unlike the 200,400, ect.
Make 2 bell cranks. One to actuate the spool valve, the other attach a steering stabaliser such as the ones they use on a motorcycle. very small, 2 bolts to mount and are adjustable and pull the same from either direction, ( same idea as the friction disk in a throttle cable, BUT doesnt really slow the motion down unless its a fast snap) should help keep the "foot jiggle" out of going over bumps.
I got a call about switching a 7020 over to foot control and gave it some thought.

·
Registered
160 Posts
cl_leg said:
My 646 has a foot control. It is a complete foot pedal that rocks. Not sure if you can see it from the pictures in my album but if interested I can snap a few close ups.
Chris
I would like to see some close ups. I also have a 646LBH and find the foot control very uncomfortable.

Ted

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.