Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I use the front blade attachment on my 446 to grade my driveway? I don't want to go crazy, I only want to shave the middle between the wheel tracks so I have a flatter surface for the snowcaster this winter. If so, would I push or pull?

·
Administrator
2,821 Posts
Push

Reactions: bitteroldman

·
Registered
153 Posts
I find it a bit tricky as when it hits hard material it will either want to fold over (my plow has springs) or push the front end to the side. I find a box scraper/rear blade to work better. I found a Brinly box scraper on C'list and it is awesome. The sides of the box can be removed to make it a blade that can be angled. It also has tines to help break up compacted material making it much easier to be moved.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. Using a front blade does not appear to be the ideal way to perform this task. I think I'll not mess with it this fall. We had a bid of rain; I may be able to smooth my relatively short driveway good enough by hand and look for a rear blade in the spring.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,407 Posts
I find it a bit tricky as when it hits hard material it will either want to fold over (my plow has springs) or push the front end to the side. I find a box scraper/rear blade to work better. I found a Brinly box scraper on C'list and it is awesome. The sides of the box can be removed to make it a blade that can be angled. It also has tines to help break up compacted material making it much easier to be moved.
For any use other than snow removal it's recommended to install the pin that locks the blade rigid and eliminates the spring trip feature. The purpose of the springs is to let the blade fold over as you say should you hit an immovable object not seen under the snow.

Bob

·
Administrator
4,185 Posts
Why not try your hand at grading? I have used my front blade for landscape grading quite successfully. I found it imperative to have the midlift isolated [splitter valve or lock the 3 point up mechanically], so I can hold a grade with the blade, and with the travel lever in the "creep" position, the whole system works like a little dozer with a torque converter. That is to say it will push until it hits a rock or similar then stops until I raise the blade a skosh. I also added a couple of extra positions for angling the blade between straight ahead and fully angled. It allows much better control, allowing you to still roll material to one side without as much sideways force on the tractor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why not try your hand at grading? I have used my front blade for landscape grading quite successfully. I found it imperative to have the midlift isolated [splitter valve or lock the 3 point up mechanically], so I can hold a grade with the blade, and with the travel lever in the "creep" position, the whole system works like a little dozer with a torque converter. That is to say it will push until it hits a rock or similar then stops until I raise the blade a skosh. I also added a couple of extra positions for angling the blade between straight ahead and fully angled. It allows much better control, allowing you to still roll material to one side without as much sideways force on the tractor.
Yes, perhaps I will give it a try, as I think the driveway will remain unfrozen for at least a few days. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts