Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Front tire question.

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  oleblu72 
#1 ·
I have been following a diesel build on MTF and the owner installed 12" tires on the front for the installation of a FEL. I really like the looks of the larger front tires and was wondering if anyone had any idea what the largest tire one could install on the front of a long wheelbase 400 series without interfering with a 48" mower deck (K46). This would be strictly for aesthetic purposes only. Any thoughts or actual experiences related (or pictures) would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I sincerely doubt that you could put a 12 inch rim on your tractor and not interfere with the deck. That's a 4" increase in the diameter that translates into a 2" increase in the radius. The stock tires barely clear the deck as it is. It doesn't matter which wheelbase you have because the 2" stretch took place behind the dash tower and in front of the seat pedestal. Therefore there is no difference in the area between the front of the deck and the axle.

The largest tire is the 18.00 but I hardly think that it will look as dramatically different as what you are seeking.

#4 ·
Same response, actually.

Owners who whack into solid objects with the front tires often bend/twist their axles to the point where the front tires rub on the deck during tight turns. It would all come down to the rim/tire combo chosen and especially the offset of the rim. As I see it, trial and error would tell you if it could be done.

#5 ·
Wouldn't the increased tire height also raise the front of the tractor? Then, the tractor would be out of level, sorta like a half ton pick-up with a yard of gravel in the back right? I suppose it would not be a problem for looks to some. Not saying I know the machine or even this particular situation, just speculating... But, if there is enough of a height difference, wouldn't that also affect the ability of the mower deck to give a proper cut, being at an angle? Or maybe that angle could be adjusted out, just a thought...

Rob

#8 ·
case680rob said:
Wouldn't the increased tire height also raise the front of the tractor? Then, the tractor would be out of level, sorta like a half ton pick-up with a yard of gravel in the back right? I suppose it would not be a problem for looks to some. Not saying I know the machine or even this particular situation, just speculating... But, if there is enough of a height difference, wouldn't that also affect the ability of the mower deck to give a proper cut, being at an angle? Or maybe that angle could be adjusted out, just a thought...

Rob
I always kinda liked the ole gasser look with the front end hiked up in the air and the tractor even has the straight axle already. Now all you have to do is add the blown hemi. :thumbsup:

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.