Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While looking through some parts book I notice that there are different types of clamps are used in different locations on the same tractor. Some are tension type and some are worm type. Does anybody know why? Which type is better?

Ted :headscratcher:

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Ted, I like using the tension clamps because they offer a more consistant and even clamping force around the hose. The worm style clamps can tear the hose if overtightened. The only downside I see to the tension clamps is removing and installing them. There is a special tool for these clamps but most people just use pliers and nothing is more frustrating then having one of those suckers go flying across the room because it slipped out of the jaws of the pliers.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Snotrocket said:
I haven't seen any tension clamps on my tractor.

You're really not supposed to re-use tension clamps in automotive applications. I'm not sure how they would fare on the tractors.
That might be true but I've used the same spring clamps on my 224-79 fuel filter which i change every year for over 30 years. Whenever they started seeping gas I would change the fuel line and the leak would disappear. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Ted Miller said:
While looking through some parts book I notice that there are different types of clamps are used in different locations on the same tractor. Some are tension type and some are worm type. Does anybody know why? Which type is better?

Ted :headscratcher:
The spring type used on the fuel line connections are for low pressure connections and are fairly easy to disconnect.

The strap clamps with a machine screw and nut provide even clamping pressure and will handle fairly high pressure. The main advantage of these over the screw type hose clamps is the even pressure and minimum distortion of the hose.

The hose clamps are easy and readily available but I don't believe they were used at the factory. I use them frequently when I don't have the strap clamps but they seem to allow seepage on the oil return lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.