Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out plowing snow tonight and the pump on the 195 quit. I have a new in the box genuine pump with the 6 bolt plate on top I picked up so it keeps its proper original look. Question is I have heard people say this new garbage reformulated gas we have eats the old diaphrams. Is there any truth to this? If so I may buy a new plastic pos and save the nos one for the restoration.

·
Registered
94 Posts
1031d said:
I was out plowing snow tonight and the pump on the 195 quit. I have a new in the box genuine pump with the 6 bolt plate on top I picked up so it keeps its proper original look. Question is I have heard people say this new garbage reformulated gas we have eats the old diaphrams. Is there any truth to this? If so I may buy a new plastic pos and save the nos one for the restoration.
:headscratcher: Yeah. I'm afraid you're right. the grade of gasoline we use today is extremelly discusting.

I clean carburators for Yamaha, and Arctic Cat almost 300 carbs per pre-season, and I can tell you, some are only a few months at "a hunting camp" for example and sits.
Then the customers can't run them.
I come to the rescue.

The Newer generation gasoline is Ethanol blend, and 10% eats plastic, and deteriorate fuel lines, and now The 15% is already in the works for everyone on North America.

I'm afraid there is no solution in site, and unless you look into the fuel additives out there, like the 2+4 conditioner we offer at Yamaha, you are SOL.

:thumbdown: Price goes up, quality goes down. :crazy:

·
Registered
164 Posts
You may still be in a state/province where both are available, if you Google E10 free gas stations (especially) if you aren't on the far west or east coasts. Seems like the more farming in the area the better your luck of finding one. Granted it may not be on your block, but worth the drive :fingerscrossed:

P.S. Since I live in MA and our "leaders" are smarter than yours we were way ahead of the curve on this, which means I started having problems a few years before everyone else :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I live in an emmision control county in Wisconsin between Milwaukee and Chicago. My farm gas is a mix of what the fuel company has. If I go one county west they claim their premium gas is ethanol free.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm in southwest WI. Recreational Fuel - No Alcohol -, can be bought at the local Kwk Trip. Sort of expensive but maybe worth it in the long run..

I use some marvel mystery oil in the gasohol for my old motors (about 2 caps full to 5 gallons) it seems to make them run better ?? might just be my imagination. I have thought about adding a small amount of 2 stroke oil instead. has anyone else tried this ??

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I wonder what it is, does the gasohol eat the rubber or is it the alcohol in the gas causing havoc elsewhere? Maybe I'll just swap the nos pump on and start using ethanol free premium gas.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,509 Posts
club
here in mn. S/E metro area,
we have had the blended fuel for many years.
my 82 448 had the float changed in 97 ( brass REAL onan )
the fuel pump and everything else is all original.
thank you boomer

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,499 Posts
In the Chicagoland area we have dealt with 10% ethanol, MTBE etc. for quite a few years. This past year our Briggs central warehouse, Midwest Engine Warehouse introduced a small engine fuel program. (SEF) They are supplying 94 octane unleaded ethonal-free fuel as well as 40:1 and 50:1 pre-mix in qts, 5 gal pails and 55 gal drums. The fuel is mfg by VP Racing fuels and not cheap, but maybe if you figure in the cost of an annual carb rebuild for each of your small engines? Goes for about $12.00 gal around here. Bob

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well on my way home tonight I stopped at the filling station around the corner from work and inquired about their ethanol free premium. The clerk said that they keep the higher octane ethanol free because it burns hotter and cleaner, which makes sense if you think about propane. Propane is around 110 octane and burns hot and extremely clean. In western WI and Iowa midgrade is cheaper than regular, I wonder if its an emmisions thing............ :crazy: :sidelaugh:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Speaking of fuel pumps, what's the advantage? My 190 doesn't have one, it's gravity fed. I know many of the 100 series were avaliable with and without the pump, but if it's not needed then why would it be there? And if my unit should have a pump on it, will I need a change of jetting or float level or other carb work to accomodate the additional fuel pressure? :headscratcher:

Rob

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
On my 195 the bottom of the fuel tank is about even with the bottom of the carb bowl. They help get the fuel from the tank to the carb at various angles and tank levels. With my fuel pump bypassed the bottom inch or so of the tank is useless. Some tractors have the tank mounted elsewhere and gravity feed wouldn't work unless you flipped it over.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.